1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what program do you use for scheduling apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Jan 2, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

apps and billing, pesticide records etc,what company do you use?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You probably already have Microsoft Outlook.

Microsoft Outlook can be used very successful with any amount of accounts. I use it for scheduling both individual jobs and Numbered Route lists. You can schedule any number of recurrence Days, Weeks or Months. Even Date of the month or day of the month such as 2nd Tuesday. They automatically update until the end of time or for a specified number of treatments.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I am by no means a "computer geek". And, at the risk of taking a pot shot from Ric I will answer this. It has always been my understanding that Microsoft Outlook was an e-mail program and nothing more...I have been wrong before and I will be again. I use an Access data base to keep up with my accounts. Access is a program that was included in the Microsoft Office XP package I have. It is not a "lawncare" program that I went out and bought. I had help setting it up. I would be interested in what others have to say about what they are using, for the simple reason that mine is "homegrown". However, it does work and it came with my Dell.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have been using Microsoft Works database for 15 years. Works for me. I wanted to shift to Access database, but when i tried I didn't have the knowledge. One thing I liked about Access, you can sort any field, alphbetically or numerically, instantly with the click of your mouse at the top. You can add up any column instantly. It has lots of great search, query, sort and report functions. You can put a picture of the house on each customer's record page.
  5. ted putnam

Didn't know that riggle...pictures...hmm. My wife set up the data base for the pharmaceutical research company she worked for before becoming a HS science teacher. She set this up for me and I have become used to it. She thinks I should get something professional but . Everything ranges from $50 to $5000, I don't know what I can trust and quite honestly I have become comfortable with this. Maybe I just need to tweek it a little and stick with what I have.
  6. ted putnam

Riggle, I was just talking to my wife and she said everything she learned about Access she learned through the help menu and a book similar to Access for Dummies. She knew nothing about it when she started.She got better at all it's functions by tinkering with it.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Access is tough!

I have never set up a database..but used one that was already established and it isn't easy.

I just use Excel! It is just a simplified version of Access but you can't run the reports and querries.

I have all my customers numbered for scheduling. So I can sort by their name, town, income, sq ft, treatments and route number etc.

Access can work great if you know what you are doing! I played it safe personally and just stayed away from it for my business!
  8. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Hadn't thought about Access..........Thanks for the post / threads.

Wish I could come up with something good for mileage. Hate this part of the business.
  9. ted putnam

Hogjaw, I take an odometer reading Jan 1st and then again at Dec 31st.I subtract 5-10% on one of the trucks and the other is 100% business. My tax person turns that in.Of course, All I do is work so there's not a whole lot of figuring involved.
  10. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing point A to point B etc, for each day.........wear my fingers out entering 12 months in to Excel.