1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What programs to create flyers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by outrunjason, Jan 16, 2004.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

What programs are there to create flyers. A local place that does it for me charges to much and they use apple so I can't put it on my computer and edit in any way.

Thanks, Jason
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Our designers make them in Adobe Illustrator but you could even make your own using Word.
  3. outrunjason

from dallas

I have created several in word. But they just don't looks as succsesful as some others that I have seen.

4. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

Microsoft publisher can make some great, commercial looking stuff. a new copy is around $189 i think, but you could pick up 97' or 2000 on ebay for $15-25. Were still using 97 and it dose more than we will ever need.
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Theres many options available to you. A flyer can be created in just about any program from a CAD program, GIS program, Word Processor program to a Publishing program. Heres a couple that I can think of right of the top of my head.

Corel Draw
    Corel Word Perfect
    Microsoft Publisher
    Miscoosft Word
    Microsoft Powerpoint
    Adobe Illustrator
    Abode Page Maker
    Quark Xpress
  6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I've done all of my stuff in Microsoft Word.
    You'd be surprised what you can come up with when you just learn the program, and get creative.
    I am sure there are much better programs out there, but at this stage in the game, I am working with what I have, and it is working fine.
  7. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

my dad is a graphics designer, so ive heard over and over that many people will take MS publisher documents into a print shop thinking they are print ready, only to find the printer having to entirely re-do it so it will work with his programs. With that in mind, i would talk to the printer you plan on working with and find out what program would be easiest for him to use on his end.

I personally use Quark Express as well as Adobe Pagemaker (both PC versions) and have not been hassled about the format. I like Quark better, and ive heard that you can find versions of both on shareware programs like Kazaa. ;)
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Mac, Everytime I call I printer to get an Idea of how much they will charge. I tell them I use Publisher and they tell me the horrer stories and tell me they will have to see it first. I have only had black and white printed so far because of the cost.

This year, I'm going with full color doorhangers. 5000 for $650 includes design and setup. This includes two sides and preferated bottoms for people to tear off as business cards.
  9. outrunjason

from dallas

Yeah, I have stayed black and white cause of the cost also. I figure most people through it away anyway. I think this year I am going to stay black and white once again and see what happens.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Mac's right, if you take your own work to a professional printer, they will want it in high-resolution, digital format. Some will just scan it and make copies. I use MS Publisher for my personally flyers.

Trimmasters, I was getting ready to tell you that was a little high for MS Publisher, but I see cost have gone up since 2002. I only paid around $100 for my copy. I also see that the program includes digital imaging.

If you are going to be in this business for the long haul, I would recommend dropping several hundred dollars and get a professional program. If you are like me, you will buy about 3 or 4 cheap programs ($100 or less) and end up spending what you would have for a professional setup. I would even recommend looking on ebay for a professional program that is a few years old vs buying a new cheap program. Shoot, I might sell you my MS Publisher.