What qualities should I look for in a commercial hedge trimmer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering buying a used commercial hedge timmer and weed wacker on EBay to start out. For the hedege trimmers, I see there are one-sided and two-sided, as well as different lengths. Some also had a a piece of angled aluminum attached as well (what is that for?) As for the weed wackers, what should things should I consider - weight, vibration, horsepower, noise, etc? and what brands are the best for the hedge trimmers and weed wackers. I'll be using both for small residential properties - 1/4 - 1/3 acre.....nothin real big

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

For a good all around trimmer I would highly recommend getting a double sided trimmer with at least a 25cc engine w/ 20" bar. Most standard commercial trimmers come with a 21cc engine and they will work fine if your just trimming but if you do cut backs you will need a bigger engine, more hp, more torqe to get through thicker branches. We do alot of shrub/hedge trimming more than just about anyone in are area and have a wide variety of trimmers we use.

3. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I would not use ebay. Go to your dealer because if it breaks who's going to fix it? You wont save too much on used 2 cycle stuff. Also shipping would be a killer. I have the Echo base line Hedge trimmer HC-150 and i was impressed. It handled everything i threw at it.

4. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

I personally love Echos products, so thats what id go with. Go to websites and get the specs. You really cant go wrong with Echo in my opinion, or stihl.

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my Echo HC-150's off ebay and saved quite a bit. They were new. I've never had a problem.

6. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks all!

7. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

Even if you buy from the dealer instead of e-bay you still have to pay someone to fix it. (If its used) or just buy one with a warranty.

I got a redmax double sided, 24 inch and 21cc

I like it alot,gets the job done(I also bought it off ebay)