1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what r u doin to keep busy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 13, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what are you people doin to keep busy? I'M GOIN BANANAS OVERHERE! bored out of my mind. you can only lift weights for so long each day. it's too cold to go fishin. today, i'm gonna make chinese food(my first attempt). this will be the highlight of my day. it's only 8:30 am, already got the s.e.x thing out of the way. i'm bored! do u folks get bored? heeeeelppppp
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been working every other week since last month gets pretty boring mrs santa got me a trolling motor for my boat a couple of years ago and seemed to forget that it needs a battery to operate so fishings still out here. Ive washed the new truck put about 10000 lights on the house etc etc.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Out of the way?.........I just completed my final bills to be mailed out. I'm squared away with payroll, and just came up with $5256 in final bills and all the work is done, I feel better. Sometimes I don't think I'm making money cuz its usaully by check and I don't see it. Anyone else have family members that work at a bank that take care of everything. I've never had a check "have to clear", which helped through those first years. Anyway....bobby, go christmas shopping for your wife to make up for that "out of the way comment" incase she see's it, I'd be on the couch.
  4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I work in the shop. So far I have serviced all equipment. Built a new side gate for the trailer. I also put a new walk in door on the shop. Next project is new spring mounts on the trailer. So, yeah I get bored , when I do I fix or build something. O yeah, I spend some time on here as well.
  5. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Guys ,

for most of us this is the off season, I put money away all year this slow time, aside from plowing (which looks good for sunday and monday), I'm never sitting around. Day trips here and there, seeing people you just don't have the time to normally and of coarse the cocktails flow alittle more freely.
    Suggestion--- Guys take advantage of this slow time, spend more time w/ the kids and wife, get back into hobbies you enjoy, catch up w/ old friends and most of all try not to think about your business. Walk into next spring refreshed and rejuvenated!
  6. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We lay pavers all year. No off time here. Sometimes I miss having an off season.

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

we've been doing clean-ups,and now began to work on my shop.until the snow flys then that will hopefully keep us busy..payup
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Do I get bored? Never all you got to do when you start to feel bored is go to the frig grab huge amounts of food cosume it and fall asleep wake up and repeat. Next thing you know it April and you have to work like he11 to lose huge amount of weight you gained from not being bored in winter. Its a good 12 month plan !! LOL

9. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Snow removal, and I also do home improvement work. Floors (hardwood, laminate, veneer) finish carpentry, basement finishing, etc. I've also got an ad running in the news paper to do blowing insulation. Have to keep busy. Here's before and after pics of one basement I finished this year.
    Good Luck
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I work on...

1. My Business Plan
    2. My Marketing/Sales Ideas
    3. Review and analyze everything from 2003 vs 2002
    4. Catch up on some personal reading
    5. Catch up on some time with the g/f
    6. Keep an eye glued to the Weather Channel (for snow plowing).
    7. Make the visits to people I have a hard time seeing the rest of the year.
    8. Vacation (if possible) someplace warm.
    9. Try new recipes (I love to cook).