What rate are you spraying with your Z-spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 19, 2010.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've been spraying for about 4-5 years and building up a good app side to my business. As my clients grow I am trying to decide to go with more capacity or lower flow in order to be more efficient.

Right now I use prodiamine as my pre at .5 gallons per 1000 and when i do weed control i increase my speed so I can go a little further. Rates depend on who you ask and some hose guys say they won't go less that 1 gal/1000 and some boom guys say they go as low as .25 gallon/1000.

What is your flow rate on pre and/or post?

I asked Ray at z-spray about more capacity and it turns out they have a second 18 gallon tank that is interchangable with the hopper on my jr.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

When running Pre's run higher gallons but when posting for broadleaves run as low as you feel comfortable.

I have been running 1/4 gallon/k since the beginning and love it! Water is your enemy and you can get a lot more done in a day when you don't have to fill all the time!

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

are you running 1/4 gallon all the time? I would assume you up your rate for pre?

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I run a granular pre. I always run 1/4 gallon on all post apps.

The reason you want to run more water with a pre is so you can get good coverage so you can get a good blanket coverage.

You may want to contact your supplier on the product you are using (and look at the label) but I wouldn't think you would want to go much under .5 to 1 gallon. More water the better with liquid.

I am actaully not a fan or liquid pre at all. Plus when I have checked it is usually cheaper to run a combo product with a fert carrier.

5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i run 1/3 for herbicde and 1gal tips for other stuff....

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i run 1/2 gal tips for everything, unless i have to run gal tips for like a fungicide. def go higher rate for pre than you do your post though

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I have sprayed pre at a 1/2 gal per th and it worked fine. I bet you could do it with 1/4 gal per th. it's just like all pre you have to water it in or it don't work.

Charles Cue

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i run 1/3 gallon, i think at 1/4 gal you might miss some of the smaller weeds.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You would think so but you don't.

10. lawnrx

lawnrx LawnSite Member
    from ga

I run 1/3 gal and also use grandular for per. started that last year and it works great. just put in down heavy. and at full rate. .43%. i had no break throw last year with the rain that we had.