what rear end ratio for new truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MacLawnCo, Oct 13, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the process of specking out a new truck, and dont know what rear end gear ratio would be ideal. Tranny will be 6 spd Ford manual. What do you suggest for light duty pulling...almost exclusively pulling a mowing trailer which will be 16' enclosed with 2 mowers. Truck may be used for plowing in the future (far off if ever) Thanks for the help. ;)

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends a lot on the truck/engine choice. In a Dodge, with a Cummins engine, I think a 3:55 is best, unless you'll be doing a lot of heavy towing. Then 4:10 would be best.
    What trucks/engines are you considering?
    Randy

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My new F250 has 3.73 gears in it. Seems to have plenty of pulling ability. Gas mileage isn't great, but not as bad as 4.10's would be.

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

It would depend on which engine?And if its 4x4,what size tires I was planning on running.

5. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I bought my GMC with a 4:10. It is rated to tow up to 2000 lbs more than the 3:73, 10,400 total. It also gets 12-14 mpg, better than my Dodge with nothing in tow. I would see what the total towing weight is you are going to be hauling. I have actually been getting better gas mileage with a heavier truck, bigger engine and lower geared rear end. Go figure.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for helping me along so far.

Truck in question is a '03 F350 srw 4x2 with 5.4 gas and the 6spd manual. As i said, trailer should amount to approximately 5000 pounds maybe? (16x7 enclosed, 2 wb mowers, not much else). it wont haul anything more than that but maybe twice a year. It will be primarily a mowing truck. Hope that helps you help me. hehe

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

5.4 a 4.10, with 6cogs it'll still run a 100.-a 6.8 is just 600.00 more.A 3.73 would get a couple more mpg,unloaded,but in a gasser I like a 4.10..I'M going to be honest with ya--PUT a 1 ton ford under a load 5.4,6.8,3.73,4.10 it dont matter,you wont get 10mpg.SO get some motor and gear.OR spend 5more k and get a powerstroke.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3.73's also, brother has 4.10's in his, gets alot less fuel mileage then mine. But I cut out the muffler and put a airraid intake on mine. sounds great and helps with the towing power.

9. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to be pulling alot get the 4:10's. if your concerned about gas get a powerstroke.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

thats the best thing to do, get a P/Ser, heck my enclosed trailer weighs more empty then most fully loaded.:)