1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what rig would you go with to start?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lance L, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

we are going to work our way into spraying and fert this year, our maint. biz has over 250 customers that we can sell to. and we are going to do direct mail/door hangers, etc.. to push the app side, im not sure how many full service accounts can be treated with a truck on avg, but with out diving in to deep, and with the knowledge you have, what kind of setup would you start out with??

like a f350 with a flatbed w/sprayer, and other things or a cab over, what size tank, what bells and whistles that seem expensive up front but make things so much easier that its far worth it that a new guy may not know about?

so what truck setup would you go with if you didnt want to get to crazy but wanted sumthin to do the job well.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I would reccomend just buying a rideon now if your'e really serious about it, the only reason I say this is if it truly goes as planned you will want one in no time and the cost difference is minimal once you figuire it out, and on top of that you can make the money back on the machine in the first round or two.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A 250 with 200 gallon sprayer works well for spraying weeds. However you need a 350 or cabover, if you plan to mix fertilizer with the spray solution--in that case you need to carry more water--400 to 600 gallons.
  4. Lance L

how wide are the ride ons? and what do they cost? im in the dallas area and things arent as wide open as they are up north, 32" gates etc.

was thinking something like a tank with a spreader on the back, but i didnt know you could mix the fert in with the spray solution.

new guy i know study materials are on their way =)

how many accounts can 1 truck handle? i know depends on the route but say like a 3-8 min trip between jobs
  5. Lance L

and your 200 gal on a 250 set up for weeds, what do you do about fert, just load up the bags and carry a spreader on a hitch type of set up?
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Lance, there are fertilizers you can add to the tank mix. Urea, Potash. These have to be sprayable. A Lesco or Estes branch can hook you up on these. The number of yards you can spray depends on the size of the lawns and the rate you spray. I have 300 gal tanks that I spray 2 gal/1000. I can spray 150,000sq ft. About 3.5 acres. A 200 gal tank would allow you to spray about 2.25 acres. You can get a 2-300 gal sprayer for around $3500 or less
  7. ted putnam

I use a spreader rack that fits in the receiver hitch when I start my dry apps for the summer.
  8. Lance L

so theres no way around the granular fert =P pushin a spreader full of fert up hill is alot of fun =P i have some few acre churches that want full service and i have no doubt that i could get a good hold on this in a short amount of time in my area, scotts and tgcl suck over here everyone hates them, there is 1 local company that i have seen and 1 other that does 2 of my current customers and i have only seen their flags in the lawns... definately a profitable service that i would really like to get into, i seem to be spreading pre m(please dont bash about the lic. thing...) on the people we have called for around 35-40 and its taking me under 10 mins. buying over 40 bags at once i can get them for 13/bag... not bad, i know there are of course other costs involved... but compared to our mowing op this is much better... im not going to ditch the mowing op, they could definately feed off of each other, along with gettin into landscaping.. and i heard that the spraying is even more profitable.

thanks for the replies tho, looking for more suggestions though

anything to stay away from that might look good to a noob?
  9. ted putnam

You will have to apply granular in the summer. No way around it. For most it is the only way to get the proper amount of fert out at the proper rate with no damage to the lawn. There are exceptions to that rule ...but very few. A ride on is definitely the way to go for large properties and terrain with hills. It beats pushing by a long shot. Most of these machines are expensive (6-10 grand) so you need to have the customer base there so the machine is paying for itself and not gathering dust at the shop most of the time. Just a few things for you to think about.
  10. Slyder777

Slyder777 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Where did you get your hitch attachment for your spreader. You do mean just a regular spreader right? Not a PG or Z-spray? Thanks.