1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What $'s would you pay your employee to do the following?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GarPA, Feb 5, 2005.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I want my best worker bee to learn all the ropes of the business so I'm going to have him work on some equipment next week. I dont want to pay him by the hour becuase I know he probably won't work on this stuff without interruptions since he will be doing it at his home. I;d rather pay him by the task, not by the hour. So what do you think this work is worth?

(4) 2 cycle pieces of equipment (change plugs, clean screens, grease shafts, clean them up.)...$'s ?

(1) wax a 16 ft enclosed trailer. I have an electric polisher to get most of the wax off but there will be some hand work and theres diamond plate on the front of the trlr. $'s ?

thanks guys/gals
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

are you paying cash on the side or with normal payroll?? If payroll, then you have to pay him by the hour. Agree on a set amount of hrs it should take.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

He's off the payroll unti 3/1 and I'm going to just pay him cash...I'm thinking about $60 for the handhelds and $50 to wax the trlr... just want to be "fair" about it and since I normally do all this I dont recall how much time it takes but I'm guessing about 8 hours or so
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Thats a tough answer. I cant really answer because I dont know how fast your employee works. IMO It shouldnt take more than 2-4 hours MAX. It takes me about 20min to wax my truck, that includes taking wax off. So figure maybe an hour to wax the trailer if that long even. If I was paying someone to do it (and you already bought the plugs, wax, pads and etc. and gave it to him), I wouldnt give them more than $40 labor, shouldn't take more than 4 hours IMO. But again, like you said he might get distracted.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You can wax a F-150 in 20 minutes? Are you using rags or a machine of some sort?
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

No machine. Two hands and several rags. I start at the driver side bed and work my way forward to the front bumper, takes about 7min. Then do the other side, another 7min or so. Then do the tail gate and hood. Then whipe it down. Okay maybe its 25-30min. But still. I have waxing down to a science, lol. I go so fast when I do do it though, and break a pretty intense sweat even when im waxing in 40 degree weather. I wax my cars once or twice a month from spring-fall, and do it pretty dang fast. Before I got my lisence, I had my dakota, and when ever I was bored, which was usually after school, I would wash it and wax it, I waxed it for about everyday for about 2 months, LOL, my neighbors thought I was crazy and always asked me why I wash and wax my truck. On top of that from the time I was about 13-16 I would always wax my parents car's every month or so, mind you it was about 4 cars, LOL. But yeah, so after those 2 months when I waxed my truck like 5 days a week, I had it down pat. So now that you've heard my life long story of waxing a car, I Hope it makes sense. LoL, I should work at a car detail shop waxing cars and work by the job, not on the hour :) :cool2:
  7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you might be a little cheap on the trimmers. You want to be sure to pay him enough to do a good job on all of them. Not just one or two and figure out it is taking too long for the money.
  8. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

I normally charge in the range of $150-200 for a polish and wax. That's for a car with about 100sq.ft. of surface area. Your trailer must have three times that!

Watch out paying cash to "employees". Not only are you still liable for the taxes but also proof of wage payments. If your worker gets injured, Workmen's Comp. is going to want to know details. You could be personally liable since you can't show he works for the company.

Most states have "piece work" and "flat rate" wage laws. I would look into your state's guidelines to protect yourself.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL I was wondering too. I can wax my D-250 in 45 minutes with two orbital buffers (one to apply, one to remove), and turtle wax or similar paste or semi-liquid. By hand it takes 2 hours, for real... 1 to 1.5 if it's not bad (like it's been recently done).