what"s your favorite tool

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mikeny, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

what ever comes to mind, but I'm not thinking compactor, or track hoe, more the little tools that just make life easier on hard scape projects. maybe pick up tools, line collars, sand screed, I'm always looking for the things that save time and muscle.
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The one thing I use and dont see others using is a good tool belt. One with spots for screwdrivers, hammers, a knife, tape measure, etc. I find it much easier to have all my tools on me instead of having them laying everywhere, and constantly searching for and moving them.
  3. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

I've notice that too. I used to be a framing carpenter, where a tool belt is almost to be expected even for laborers to have. I think part of the problem is that the tools used for laying pavers are too big and bulky for a belt, so most installers just don't use 'em.

My favorite tool? A brick hammer for antiquing wall block. Never leave home without it!
  4. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

My Spectra laser level by far. Its not a big tool but it cost me a good amount but worth every penny.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

my brain...too many people don't use theirs.

Sorry, couldn't resist:)
  6. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

The most used other than a shovel or level is a dead blow hammer. I have about 6 of them in the trailer in alls sizes from small to sledge hammers.
  7. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

1. Pro - Screed - an aluminum tool that we make along with our entire line of rakes. We manufacture these right in Connecticut - www.newenglandrake.com

8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

The zip level is awesome for patio and wall installs. It is the yellow device with the cord and base in the picture. Those are a couple more of the rakes we make and distribute. The base unit stays put and the small part (next to the marking paint) can be put anywhere, zeroed out, then moved to give you a digital reading of the height or difference in height.

9. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Do you make the zip level as well? Do you have a link or some more pictures. This tool sounds pretty neat.
  10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

probably a really good set of knee pads or knee mat. it sucks soo bad getting up after you have been on your knees laying pavers for a couple hours.

we have one and it makes laying out the courses on sloping ground soo easy!
    technically it is my fathers, he is a brick/stone mason and he uses it for setting heights on forms for pouring foundations or block courses for basements.