What school is the best?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Harley-D, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone found and viable information pertaining to turfgrass school rankings? Let's start with the cool season grasses and work south. PSU? MSU? OSU?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Honda D

Good Question and a lot of fine schools to pick from. Let me add Purdue, Cornell, and Rutgers to your cool season turf list.

Warm season Turf would have to include Texas A&M, U of F and Georgia Tech.

3. omnimax

omnimax LawnSite Member

4. Harley-D

I wonder if any money was donated to turfnet from nc state? just kidding.
    Any info from the college is bias if you ask me. Check out psu's link below. They think they're good too. I think they're the best but once again, i'm bias.

http://turf.cas.psu.edu/

What was the turfnet ranking based on? Does anyone know? I've seen turfnet's results and i'm not unhappy but was just wondering how to prove who's best.

5. Harley-D

The article does show alot of promise though. Maybe instead of penncross and pennlinks bent grasses, we'll start to see tar-cross or heel-link bentgrass. I will agree that they are in the perfect part of the country to study transitional turfgrass. We need a rhizomatous fescue. So we don't have to see the bluegrass they put in the sod here go dormant during the summer.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Harley D,

From what I read the other day the turfnet article was based strictly on enrollment for each school.

With that said, University X could do millions of dollars of turf research and only have 100 turf students, while University Y may do no research but have 500 turf students.

Therefore University Y would outrank University X on attendance on turfnet although they don't do any research.

Atleast that is the way I read the article!

Anyway I think that Purdue and Ohio State are probably the top schools that we use in our Tri State area.

7. Harley-D

Gotcha. And as much as i hate to admit it, i might have to start looking to vtech and nc state for info. I'ld like to see some work study results on their research.

I don't remember there being any cultivars (bentgrass) named after the buckeye or the boiler. That's ok. We did share the big ten championship year before last even though we beat osu that year. PSU likes to share with those less fortunate. LOL

Thanks rc. Really, i can't see osu or purd doing extensive research with TTTF but i don't blame them. Why would they?

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nebraska has good stuff. Same with ISU & Minnesota. Sometimes Missouri & Illinois too. Seems it all depends who has the best info regarding a particular subject (grants often fund research). My top pick is Purdue.

9. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on what you're basing the rankings on. All of the schools listed have turned out great research and lots of well trained turf students. In the cool season golf world no degree goes farther on name alone than Penn State.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mnlefty

Warm Season Golf world recognizes Lake City College as the Best. BTW my Golf Course Degree is not from Lake City. I just hear how my college was just as good as Lake City from the department head every time he lectured.