1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What seed for fescue overseed job?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nick21, Oct 5, 2008.

1. nick21

nick21 LawnSite Member

I have about an acre of tall fescue that I want to help along. The lawn is nice but I want it to be nicer. Is is worth it to spend the money on Pennington Smart seed? Or should I only spring for this when I am seeding a new area? Any other ideas?

2. nick21

nick21 LawnSite Member

Anyone? It looks like for one acre I need 9 bags...$450? Will I see a huge improvement?

3. shadowrlc

shadowrlc LawnSite Member

Since noones chiming in, I'll try to help you out. I've never used Pennington seed but if you already have a good stand of fescue you shouldn't have to put more than 4 or 5 lbs/1000 which would put you at 175-225 lbs for an acre. That cost seems a little high to me. I payed about $1.15 a lb for Transitional Blend from Lesco which is about $58 a bag (50lbs). Maybe someone else can help out with Pennington seed but again that seems a little expensive.

4. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I would for sure recommend it. I have seen WOW results. I plan on doing over 750,000 sq ft of seeding next fall with it. I'm very impressed with the results of what I have seen and will be doing some late season side by side testing over the next few weeks.

5. nick21

nick21 LawnSite Member

If I can get by with only 4 or 5 lbs per acre I might spring for it. Is good seed just as important for an oversees job?

6. csmlawn

csmlawn LawnSite Member

It's great seed, but damn is it expensive. My local Southern States here in Annapolis, MD sells it for $55 for a 25 lbs bag. I mostly use Rebel Supreme for overseeding and get a few 50 lbs bags for $85 a bag. I may mix in some smart seed in a few of my trouble spots and see how it does.

Scott

7. Barefoot James

Is that a typo? Try 300 to 350 lbs per acre - even pasture seeding requires 25 to 30 lbs per acre - turf seeding is 6 to 10 pounds per 1000 sq ft - 43,500 sq ft in an acre = 261 pounds @ 6 and 435 pounds @ 10.:rolleyes:

8. shadowrlc

No typo! I'm talking about over-seeding rates. 4-6 lbs using a TTTF blend is usually recommended for over-seeding existing turf. A few sites actually have as low as 2-3 lbs for overseeding which would seem a little low. I have seen problems over-seeding at higher rates with fescue choking itself out! Just my 2 cents for what its worth! :usflag:

9. Barefoot James

Not per acre - thats 43,500 sq ft 4 to 6 pounds of seed on an acre will not do squat. I buy over $10,000 worth of seed per year and TRUST me you have 1000 sq ft and acres mixed up.

10. shadowrlc

Check my original post -- 4-6 lbs/1000 or 175-225 lbs per acre. :confused: The OP may be the one confused