What seed to put out now in SC?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by carolinaborn82, Jun 10, 2008.

1. carolinaborn82

carolinaborn82 LawnSite Member

I am wondering what seed I can put out now in SC that will germinate in this heat with little to no rain?

2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do any seeding right now as dry and hot as it is. Is this for your yard or a customer? If you're going to water it heavily every day, you could probably try bermuda.

3. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 11 year old watering a test plot of Scotts thermal Blue. We are watering every 2 hours for 30 minutes or until the soil looks soaked and starts to puddle.

This is what we will be re seeding with this fall.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Centipede likes heat, but your watering practice will be crucial. Centipede seed is also expensive ($30/lb). Should a seed germinate and send out the feeder root without moisture around it...it will dry out and die. Some shade of the seed and moisture are important. Some culivars are more drought resistant than others. Most people sod with centipede however and keep it watered for about two weeks.

5. carolinaborn82

carolinaborn82 LawnSite Member

Yeah that is what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure. I am looking into it for a customer, but I do agree with yall that it will be too risky.