What seed would you use??

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by upidstay, Mar 17, 2006.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We are installing a new "general purpose" field. It will be used to practice on by lacrosse and soccer (3 teams total), as well as intramurals and pick up games. This is a college in CT. It will be native soil, crown drainage only, irrigated by a water cannon. The architect specs call for a 40/35/25 kbg/red fescue/perennial rye mix. I cannot figure out the red fescue part. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see using this type of grass in an athletic field application. I was thinking of a 80/20 kbg/rye mix or a 80/10/10 dwarf turf type tall fescue/rye/kbg mix.
    I was also hoping to have it slice seeded, then hydro-mulched with some Drive 75 added to the mulch mix for weed control.
    Anybody have any thoughts??:confused:
  2. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

Red Chewing Fescue???? I agree with you! Fine fescue for turf areas is lod school b4 they knew any better. Good for residential bad for high use areas.

I would not use any tall fescue varieties as it has a tendency to clump down the road. Use perennial rye mixes since you will need the quick germination of this type of turf for quick rebounds when the field takes a beating. In the summer, overseed with more of a blue mix as it will tolerate heat a bit better then rye and it needs the soil to be warmer for germination anyway.
    We also use a water cannon and it is difficult to keep turf watered when the heat index rises quickly. Rest of what you have planned looks fine.
  3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The red fescue is Creeping red fescue most of the time, I have and do use my own seed mix through Lesco for ball fields we do around the state it is 50%kb/25%CRF/25%pr. Call Lesco and ask For "PLANET PROFESSIONAL MIX". Tried and proven winner for ball fields. Any help we can be please call 203-881-9419 ask for Bill:usflag: (Several Architects with the state get the recomendations from me)
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

For an athletic field that gets heavy use, hands down, Poa Supina. There is nothing better for wear. Pick a blend of 45% KBG, 45% Per. Rye and 10% Poa Supina. The P. Supina will take over the field and crowd out the KBG and Rye over time. If you can afford it, you can use a higher % blend of P. Supina.
  5. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member