what setup do you guys recommend

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Surferbum21, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

take the test in a week and am wondering what equipment do you guys recommend (tanks, hoses, guns, etc.) and where to get them? located in sw oklahoma city. all this stuff seems over my head at the moment but I am hoping that it was like mowing lawns...just gotta jump in and do it and learn day to day. I am reading the manuals to take the test but doesn't seem like it points you in the right direction of what to charge, how often, etc.? I know generally 6 treatments per year but with what? any advice on this would be appreciated.

2. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

3. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

looks to be a AG. sprayer for farming not turf.maybe sod production?

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Wylie makes a quality sprayer of all different shapes and sizes and they are fairly local for you. However, what you saw on craiglist is indeed an Ag sprayer. You would probably need a Chevy 4500 to haul around a 1000 gal tank. Water weighs 8.5 pounds per gallon. Start adding soluble fert to the mix and the weight goes up. And, you don't need a boom or to spend $11,000. You need a skid sprayer in the 2-300gal range with a hose reel and gun. There are several companies that produce them and you can pick one up new in the $3500-4000 range. Gregson-Clark is a sponsor of this site. Westheffer is a company I have dealt with...Wylie is another. Check with one of them or do a search for skid sprayers on the web. Hope this helps.

5. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco in Edmond or Norman would be worth looking at. Estes in downtown would be your best bet for information. Just walk in there some afternoon and talk to them. They have great information. They sale the CubCadet sprayer now. You will waste your time if you go to John Deere in Edmond. Trust me!

6. VARMIT COMMISSION

http://www.wyliesprayers.com/division/3/

check out the power sprayer skid's. Wylie is in your area. I-40 and MacArther. They will build anything for you and are pro's when it comes to sprayer's. Expensive, but--- you get what you pay for in this buisness.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

consider used in good condition if you can, theya re a bit pricey. but th en again we never get used. we like to break in oursevles. but i know there is plenty of good used stuff on craigs list etc. i recomend at least 200 gal unit, a honda engine and a hypro pump as brands on the skid

8. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

9. VARMIT COMMISSION

I called on both those sprayers on craiglist. The first one the guy couldnt tell me what kind of pump, engine or even what color it was. The second was 12 years old and always stored outside. Never winterized. Extremely used. Estes in OKC has a for sale list on the wall next to the coke machine. Ya otta go up there and take a look at it and the newer sprayers. I watch it often.

10. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

thanks varmit for the help and calling. I now buy all my lawn equipment used b/c I know what to look for but i'll prob buy new spray equipment from estes or lesco just so i don't get screwed!