What Setup?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by msuturfgrad, Jan 23, 2006.

1. msuturfgrad

msuturfgrad LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have a question about which type of sprayer to purchase. I am planning on spraying yards on the side for a little extra cash. I had my mind set on skid mounted sprayer till I talked to a buddy that used a PERMAGREEN ULTRA. I will mainly be doing yards 3000ft2 to an acre. I am just starting out and was wondering if this is too much sprayer. If any of you guys can give me some advise I would greatly appreciate it. By the way I was thinking about a used Permagreen.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you can afford the PG I would recomend it. it will save you alot of time and effort. a good 200 gal. spray outfit will run arround $3000. you can probablly pick up a 05 permagreen for around $5400

3. msuturfgrad

indyturf do you think I can but a descent used permagreen ultra for $3000-$3500??

4. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Check Perma-Greens web site www.ride-onspreader.com There are several used Ultras for sale there for that $, check ebay also, you will run across them there too from time to time.
    Scott

5. msuturfgrad

How many hours do you think a used machine can have on it and still be a descent purchase? Also how much does a ultra usually cost?

6. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've bought a used Ultra for $2900.00 w/ 160 hrs. on it. Hours can be misleading, like miles on a car. All depends on how it was cared for and hour meters can be easily replaced for $50.00. Check it over just like you would a used car. See if the engine oil is clean. Ask for maintenance records. Check axles and articulating joints for wear. See if it sprays well and check for leaks. Check the trans axle for corossion and see if the drive pully wobbles when you grab it and move it side to side. See if the electric is original or has it been spliced into. Check the hopper for any problems. The tires will have some wear as this has been an issue with them, but Perma-Green is going back to the Scorpion tires with last a lot longer. Take it for a good ride...
    Even if you do find a few things wrong, keep in mind that idler pulleys and belty are easy to replace on an Ultra as is the pump. A trans is also easy, but it will cost about $400.00. Check with John or Pat at Perma-Green and they will give you a list of parts and what they cost to replace.
    Scott

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

probablly, but I really like the changes they made in the magnium they came out with in 05, big improvements in trans, honda motor and the spray system. I did see a magnium on ebay last week with 200 hr, sold for $3800. I would rather spend the extra $ and have a new one with warranty.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you mentioned the phrases ,part time, and on the side, and extra cash.Do you have in your possession an applicators license ? If not, you would be wise to check with your states department of agriculture about acquiring one.

9. msuturfgrad

yes 67 340 I have a turf management degree and while I was in school I got a applicators certificate. I am now studying to take the licence test. Thanks for asking though.

10. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I would start with a push spreader and a back pack sprayer. Starting costs would be minimal as compared to sprayer or PG. You don't have any customers yet. Once you build your customer base you can update you equipment to your needs.