What should a 20 ft strip drain cost?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Oct 6, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am working on a estimate where i need to install a 20 ft strip drain infront of garage doors. I forgot to price it out and need to have firm #s tommorrow for the customer. Anyone have an idea of what it should cost?

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

There is a company called NDS, I think the Homo Depot has their entry level products. I went to a plumbing supply store which stocks the industrial type line. The stuff is expensive if I remember its around $18 a foot for the 3" and $30 a foot for the 5".

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I think you are talking about channel drains...never heard them called strip drains.

If you can get away with using the NDS from home ripoff it is a lot cheaper than what is sold at mason supply yards and ace hardwares and the like. They come in three foot pieces and I believe they are around 20 bucks a pop....not sure though...last time I installed one was this past spring in a paver walkway. My advice is run out to home ripoff and get your pricing info, as always the problem is whether or not they have it in stock.

Keep in mind that it is sold in 'sections'. I believe the end caps are seperate pricing. In other words solid end caps are x price, end caps that connect sections are y price, and end caps that connect the drain pipes (which you will need about three adapters to change from 4" SCH40 to perf pipe) are z price. I don't believe the grates were seperate.

I do remember one of my contractors calling me up and stating that he wanted the preformed cement channel drains with the metal grates for 27 feet. When all was said and done the materials (at contractors cost) was 1600-1700 dollars. I told the contractor materials alone would cost him 2200. Needless to say we didn't get the job.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish i could think of the price, expensive as hell. Im thinking 20' may cost you around 3-400.00. It works good but salty, i dont think you have many choices though.
    mike

5. senatorcongressman

senatorcongressman LawnSite Member
    from WDC

I bought the "micro" channel drain NDS makes for my sunken patio (1.25 inch wide). Had to order it from a plumbing supply house, and have it shipped from GA. I recall it was about $150 total for 2x10' sections, 2 end caps, 1 cleanout section, 2 bottom draining ends (connects to 2"? S40) enough mounting clips and a pack of stakes.

Nevermind I see you need vehicular application, I think this model is only rated for pedestrian trafic, sure looks nice though.

Oh check Savko for prices... http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=5&pt

I think my local vendor was only a little more (and they drop-ship). HD prices were comparable.

6. aoehero

aoehero LawnSite Member
    from houston

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

out of my Shemins Catalog for the DC area

NDS Channels

coupler NDS248 5.17
    Channel Grate nds242 2' section green black grey 21.10
    end cap nds247 5.17
    4" drain adapter nds249 5.98

8. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

This thread was started 6 months ago . .

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

DOH...and I'm usually pretty good at checking the dates....

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Thats just too funny.

I wonder if he got the job?