What should be my asking price?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by allinearth, Apr 9, 2010.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I am contemplating selling a 2005 Cat 242b. It has 961 hrs. Pretty clean not all marked up. No Cab or a/c just basic. I would like to ask about 18k. Seems to be in the ballpark of the ones I have looked at online with similar hrs. What do you think? Just wanting to make sure I am not too high or low.

2. wemfan

wemfan LawnSite Member

I went to an a local auction a few days ago and watched two Cat skids I was interested in. One was a 232B that was so clean it looked nearly new but the hour meter didn't work. It sold for $13500. The other was a 226B with 2007 hours and was clean, but used. It had a reserve of $12000 so there were no bids on it. In my area your price seems high but the Internet prices I see seem to be way high from what I see locally.

3. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

The internet prices are not something you go by, in dealerships the prices are jacked up to overpay a trade in. No trade the will drop up to 5 or 7 k off the price.

4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I was basing the price on what I saw online. I saw higher and lower asking prices. I don't think I can base it on an auction on one particular day though. I was hoping for more feedback.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

IP does have a search function that you can use to average the values. Some of the dirt mags that I get suggest that skid steer and excavator values have been coming up. RB also has a search function on their website. That requires passwords. If you are not signed up on the site let me know and I will pull it off of there for you. While I don't think you need to match auction values, I think it gives you a good idea of where the market is at.