1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What should be my first buy???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawnhines, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

I am looking at starting in the lawn care business parttime next spring. I am in the US Military and this will be a afternoon weekend thing... I am asking everyone what I should by first off? I want to buy good tools so tht they last but I don't want to go out and buy a 5000.00 mower... I would like to look at paying all this off pretty fast and building my company from there.

I am also taking small business owner class and will be taking a Pro Landscaper, do you think I will be ok with these under my belt?

Last one, DO I save up some money and pay out right or shoud I type up a good Business plan to take to the Bank for a loan of about 20,000???

Thanks again
  2. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Buying stuff is an important and fun part of starting and running your own bussiness!! Figure out what you need, if you have any accts go measure gates! 1..... if you have a truck I would look into getting a trailer like 5x10 or 5x12, then a mower or 2. Your best bet would be to start out with a 36" w/b alot of manufacturers are having year end deals= no int or deferred!! Then get a 21in for small gated yards. Then youll need a blower and string trimmer buy commercial equip. like echo, redmax, stihl etc. Then you can look into ins and registering your buss. You can learn alot from this site, dont be afraid to ask questions GOOD LUCK:waving:

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

No bank will give you money to start a LCO. The may just give you unsecured money based on you being a Vet. (thanks by the way)
    BUT!!! DO A BUSINESS PLAN FOR YOURSELF!! to answer all these questions and to tell yourself what size jobs you will need. and equipment, and money.
    You need to do the plan to answer these questions for yourself as only you will live with your decision.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Listen to PMLawn and definitely do a business plan. I have been doing one for the past month and it helps tremendously.
  5. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

Thanks again Guys...

PMLAWN- Your welcome I have enjoyed being in the Military, but I think it is time for something else...
  6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

first bussiness plan...2nd truck....3rd mower blower trimmer....even if that mower is the 22inch u have in the shed out back....3rd manage ur money in ways to ur advantge put money aside for new equiptment if u can afford a mower right out front buy something used like a 36in that is in good condish...i would then buy a trailer remeber biger is smarter sometimes...why keep buyin trailers i would start out with a 6x10 6x12 soemhting u can get a 36/32in and a zero turn on for the future....most of all u need business....get those accounts dont be afraid to offer mulch and snow blowing/plowing dont turn donw work if u can do it b.c then they wont use u again...get out there and good luck
  7. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

I will be starting my own business this coming spring so take everything I write for what its worth. I plan on working 20-35 field hours a week for this business.

Like PMLawn said you should write a business plan for no other reason than to help yourself. It will help you organize your thoughts, give you an idea home much to charge and let you have a plan of attack if/when a foreseen problem arises.

I have a truck, 21" Toro mower, gas trimmer and some hand tools (all home owner quality) that I use for around the house. Also I am getting licensed for commercial pesticide application here in Texas, and plan on doing mainly pre-emegents this coming spring and fertilizer applications the rest of the year.

The priority that I assigned(based on my own business plan) each piece of equipment is as follows:

1st: Commercial quality hand held blower: why?: I only have an electric model at home, which is woefully inadequate for my future business. I plan on using granular pre-emergents so I will need a blower to blow off hard surfaces. Personal experience as well as advise from here in lawnsite.com has taught me that a hand held blower will work great on the small drive ways and back patios that will represent the bulk of my near future customer base.

2nd: Commercial quality fertilizer spreader: why?: I plan on advertising for pre-emergent applications in early spring the pre-emergent I chose will be granular and thus my need for a spreader. I own a scott's drop spreader and its way to slow and doesn't carry enough material for my needs.

3rd: Commercial quality 2-cycle multi task type tool: why? while my trimmer is in excellent condition at the present time, it is a home owner brand and quite frankly I don't expect it to last more than a couple of months once the business gets going. Also I want something that can edge as well as trimm, also I like the idea of getting attachments for future shrub and/or tree trimming applications.

4th: Homeowner quality hand tools: why? I plan on offering mulching and other minor landscaping type work. In order to do this type of work efficiently I need hand tools.

5th: gate/ramp for my truck: At around $850.00 I will only get it if I'm succesful enough in the business to justify the expense.

6th: Quick 36: I will only get this 36" walk behind mower if I'm succesful enough in the business to justify the expense.

I'm only listing equipment that I plan on getting during the first three months from my official start up date(sometime in February). My business plan includes a full list of over fifty items that I plan on getting depending on my situation on that particular moment in time(during a period of three years). Also keep in mind that equipment will represent only 35% of my entire start up budget. Most of the start up budget will be taken up by advertising, licensing, insurance and miscellaneous costs.

Just a piece of advice from a newbie to another newbie. Your better off figuring out plans of action to gain customers, figuring out your costs and paper work requirements in your state than worrying about equipment. It took me over a hundred hours of looking through dozens of equipment manufacturers' websites to figure that out.