What Should I Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TopNotchLS, Feb 21, 2006.

1. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS LawnSite Member

I going to place a bid on 25.6 acres.
    2 Fire departments 1 acre a piece. 2 cemeteries:5acres and 3acres both have up right markers [/B]and all have to be trimmed around. 3 parks 10 acres, 5 acres, and last 1 acre. I do everything myself. 30mile round trip. Last yours bid was $680 WOW. I thought about doing it for $780.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

thats about 30 per acre.....doesnt sound too bad......depending on the trimming and all
    come on man, your cost plus your profit margin..... :)

i can see you... the monroe cooling towers anyway..:laugh:

3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds quite cheap to me. From past experience and reading lots of threads, I heard anywhere from 50 to 75 a acre is what most people are trying to get. By the way, I am a Toledo guy too. Born and raised in Toledo, but now I live in Holland just outside Toledo.

Jason

4. YGWBill

YGWBill LawnSite Member

25.6 acers for 780.00 how long do you think it will take?

5. TopNotchLS

Well this is my biggest bid I have given so far. The largest lawn I do now is .8acres. I mow, weed eat, and blow of the driveway in 35mins. So I'm hoping to do 2 acres/hr. which my mower is able to do. I want to get it done in 2 days. So between 16-20hrs.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

$780.00 per week won't even touch the headaches from the cemeteries alone. Walk away...No, RUN!

7. TopNotchLS

I've had 5yrs experience at a cemetary. There is only the one cemetary I'm not looking forward to doing if I give them my bid. The cemetary is 5 acres 3/4 the way developed. All uprights, I'm use to markers that are flush with the ground. I broke it down and I would still come home with $330 for 2 days worth of work. I'm doing this all myself. Also what type of advertising do you do. I would like to stay in business by my self. So I won't have the headaches. So I don't want to drive 20-30miles for one lawn. I'm going to start going door to door for commerical customers tommorrow.

8. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

$780 dollar for almost 27 acreas of property? Plus 2 cementaries? I dont know your situation but that doesnt sound like a good contract/estimate. That seems pretty low, plus you are going to do it all yourself? Trimming in the cementaries will take 16-20 hrs alone. I would bail on that job.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

27 acres a week solo? Think wet, heavy rainstorms and thick, juicy overgrowth...Don't chase a dollar to make a penny..I'd walk, but if you really need it, and nothing any of us say or know will dissuade you from it, go for it and best of luck....:waving:

10. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

i think you are underestimating the labor at the cemetarys. It will take as long to trim as mowing and then blowing off the headstones could be a factor.
    330 for 2 days a work will put you in the poor house quick. I think it will take you at least 3 long days maybe even 4 decent days by yourself.
    I had a chance to bid on something like this before. Township properties. I thought I was giving a cheap bid and it was 4 times what the winning bid went for. I notice every year there is somebody new loosing thier behind.

I do a 2 acre cemetary with uprights for 200 and it takes 4 hours busting balls if that helps any.

By the way, I can make much more than 330 per day by myself and so can you. Don't go for the bid cuz it is a large amount of work. Get yourself some smaller props that want to pay and make some real jack.