what should I build here?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Surferbum21, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

Hey guys I bought a house last year and landscaped the hell out of it. Now I am at the finishing touches. I want to put a water feature on my front patio. I built a flagstone patio that it will kind of flow into. I do not think I have room for an actual pond so I was thinking a pondless waterfall or some rock bubblers would work/look best. I was hoping some of you veterans could give me an idea. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

How far out in the front can you go?

3. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

confused...I just have that small hole to work with. I didn't want anything big. Just something that we can sit there with a bottle of wine and have the noise of the water.

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

you could have a bubbling rock, or an overflowing piece of pottery. They make some nice basins that come with a grate. You just dig a level hole, put your fountain basin in, plumb the pot and cover the grate with river rock. Lots of variations to this theme. Do a google search for fountain basin.

Here is a very informative link: Will give you some ideas and tell you exactly how to do it:

http://www.nelsonwatergardens.com/disappearing_fountains.asp

5. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a bubbling rock as well. The area is pretty small to do something like a pondless waterfall. If you can, add some lighting to it to highlight it at night as it would be a nice focal point.

6. William Burnison

William Burnison LawnSite Member

Pond Free is the way to go for a space this small. No matter what you want to actually move the water. You have a lot of versatility here...a fountain, a bubbler boulder, a waterfall or a stream. All will give you the sights and sounds of moving water.

As an added bonus, you will not find a type of water feature that has less maintenance to do than wiht a disappearing or pond free system.

The space is too small to even consider even a small pond. It would really make the area unbalanced to try and crowd a pond into such a tiny area. Do a pond free, enjoy the water movement and be happy with the lack of maintenance. Save another part of your property for a pond.

William

7. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

I'm typically all for the in-ground pond/pondless/bubbler/etc stuff. However, I think this would be the perfect place to put a Whiskey Barrel pond/fountain? I had a 3-tiered one that I built years back when we lived in an apartment. Kept a few goldfish and plants in it and made a very nice accent to the patio!

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Surferbum21: I like your Sooner Country rock you have in the first picture. Wise team choice. :)