What should i charge for 8 acres ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SuperFast, Mar 6, 2005.

1. SuperFast

SuperFast LawnSite Member
    from Tenn

I just got offer 3 feilds total of 8 acres all togeather 1 feild has some rock but the owner said that they will weed eat a round them and that they would weedeat what had to be weed eated so all to geather all i have to do is ride 8 acres i have just bought a hustler super mini Z 25hp kaw 52" deck What should i charge the owner. Owner said that they would pay 1 dallor a min it is about 10 or 15 min drive from my house What should i do i have never mowed with the mower so i not sure if i need to charge a flat fee or do hourly i will be the only one mowing it they only want it mowed 1 time a month though so im think the grass might get a little high at some times thank you all for you time in replying be to me ever bit counts.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, its a tough call, but I think I would charge a flat rate. Mowing only once a month the grass is going to get quite tall and be difficult to cut, not to mention its not going to look perfect when your done. With a 52" Z you should be able to mow about 3 acres an hour. I guessing the filed are rough terrian, so you won't be able to go real fast. I suppose I would charge around $250 - $300per cut, but really don't know without seeing it.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

$1 a min is pretty good imo. but once a month and you''ll be wearing out your mower, or at least replacing the blades everytime you mow there. If they're feilds and similar to the hay fields around here I'm not sure if I would put my mower in that much stress, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they have turf type grass and are just big open areas.

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

make sure to include your time from the second you pull up untill the mowers are back on the trailer. I usually don't like to let a customer set my rates, unless it's more than I was going to charge him. He knows what's good for him and not for you.

5. SuperFast

from Tenn

The lady said that she would not pay more then 200 month I kind of need the money also though but i really do not want to cut it for anything less then 250 at least but also like you siad my belt and blades it is not like hay feilds she does mow it her self but she mows every day to keep up with it lol it is pretty smooth most of it any way.

6. SuperFast

from Tenn

The lady know my mower has a hour meeter and i think she might want to go by it. i think i should mow it once to see how it is going to go and i also so told her i did not wont hourly because if i had someone eles come out with a Ztr and help me mow it it screws me up.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Trolling maybe??????

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well let's see.......SHE ONLY WANTS TO PAY $200 per cut...SHE ONLY WANTS IT CUT once a month...It is 8 acres....

$200 divided by 8 = $25 per acre WHICH IS A LOW RATE (IMHO) to start with, but she only wants it once a MONTH!!!! NO WAY, PAL. Especially in SPRING when it grows 4" a week, you'll be taking off 16", which will be SLOW GOING & harder on your machine! Explain that to her and get her RATE UP some. If not, walk away and find other jobs that you will make more $$$ on!!!

Mike

9. SuperFast

from Tenn

Thank you for your help. if you can think of anything eles let me know thanks again

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't take the job if she only want it mowed once a month. It is too much wear and tear on your equipment it need to be mowed a minimum of every two-week. I would tell her a set price for cutting 2 times a month and if she didnt like it their is plenty of other work out there.