What should I charge the city?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by r_snowrider, Nov 8, 2005.

1. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

So I have started my leaf removal program just recently. I have a 16hp loader, 2 redmax 8000's, a 22 cubic yard dump trailer. This week has been kickin arse. I made 2000 my first week without any employees (so much for one of the 8000's), just long hours (12hrs+).
    Anyway, I know this is just a surge so I have decided to go to the city to see if they will contract me to clean the leaves from the gutters. Our drains are getting blocked pretty severely and just today we saw city employees using garbage bags to clean the gutters. I know our city has a few large vacs but apparently not enough.
    What do you guys think I should charge them hourly? Keep in mind I would be running my equipment non-stop. I will also have to find a driver or vac operator. Also any advice on scoring this contract? Thanks fellers.
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to check into their insurance requirements before you get too excited.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

honestly....I don't see you getting the work. When it comes to city work, and outsourcing the work, our city here is very picky about it. You will have the public complain at meetings, write nasty letters in the newspapers, and city workers complain that they are losing work.
  4. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I would be pretty happy if I could get it, but what you guys say makes sense. We are having a major problem with storm drain blockage so maybe I will give it a shot but I will do so with lower expectations.
  5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

They probably wouldn't pay you near enough. Our city outsources the yard clean ups. You know when code enforcement says it is time to mow than they charge the city customer xxx amount and pay an lco to do it. I looked into it my first year in the biz, I new the code enforcement guy and he told me that the guy who did the last year made about 30k, I thought ok sounds good. It is just an on call job as needed, you know grass always 2 foot high, BUT then he said yeh if you want it you will have to bid it at 20 per hour because the guy now does it for 22 per hour. I thought there is know way I would do work like that, tear up god only know how much equipment, throw rocks, toy, metal stakes etc through windows, NO thanks, not for me. So in a nut shell, they will probably expect pretty low hourly bids. (sorry so long, couldn't help myself)