1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What should I charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pcs, May 21, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I planted 6 emerald cedars yesterday. My cost was $68.43 per tree. Which is $410.55. I sold the trees for $112.00 which is $672.00 for a profit of $261.75. I was going to charge labor of $60.00 to install. So my total bill would be $732.00. Is that to little?
  2. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Did you make any money?Did the money just exchange hands? What were your total cost to run your business? Very little information to establish what you should charge. Why not look at it like "THEY ARE A GOOD CUSTOMER" so I don't want to overcharge them so I will do it for cost?That way in 16 months you won't have to worry about it.
  3. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

sounds like you did okay on the buying and selling part,i personally would have charged more on the installation....more like $60 per tree:)
  4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I would have doubled the retail cost, not your cost and then also charged for labor. Did you garentee it? remeber if you did and one of those trees dies then it's coming out of your pocket.:(
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

for 1 gallon shrubs we add $7 on to install them, then $7 more for every gallon works best for me. on trees $12 for every gallon so a 3 gallon tree would be $45 to install. we also add the 1st fertilizing to what we put in thats a side charge
    this is my new system worked out great on my 1 installation of 20 shrubs at $10 cost and 1 tree at $35 cost (plus my 20% discount at the garden center) shrubs were 1 gallon and the tree was 3. only took us 40 mins to put them all in and fert. them