what should i do about a trash talker

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by earls lawns 1, May 30, 2008.

1. earls lawns 1

earls lawns 1 LawnSite Member

Ok my competitor is younger than me and [I'm24] his dad got him work at most of our branches of our local bank because he's on the board of the bank .I managed to get one because i know the manager of the bank. This guy is telling his dad that my bank looks like @#$%. Because he wants it. What should i do:confused:

2. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

Don't do something stupid thats what hes trying to get you to do. Obviously trash talkers are insecure people in general, trash talking = bad business man. Just ignore him work harder than him and you will be more successful

3. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Let your work speak for itself, take some pictures and show it to him. If that can't do it justice then maybe you deserve to lose the account.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Call him out...
    under the ol' oak tree..
    3pm...

OR
    Don't sweat him... let him sweat. Do good work... karma always comes back.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

just do a good job and youll be fine

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry he is making himself look like an a$$....Be the bigger and better business man....he won't be around long

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Put some roofing nails in the lawns where he mows...also try Round Up ice cubes. Did I just say nails and RU ice cubes...I really didnt mean that!!

You just need to find a way to set yourself apart from him...kind of a niche get creative.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

cut yours like a pro AND
    ignore the foolish man

9. LawnMowerMan3875

LawnMowerMan3875 LawnSite Member

EarlsLawn, If it really bothers you, take pics of your and his jobs. Post them and get some real feedback. Like most of us on start up, we're worried about the other guys. Don't worry so much, you got the job because you sold it well and they trust you. Like the guys say, Work hard, do great work and you'll have nothing to worry about until this guy comes looking to you for work. LOL... I've learned that if you can sell great, they won't look for anyone else unless your work is poor....I just picked up a $125.oo yard just for spending a little time making small talk. To give them a little bit of info on how you are personally and professionally......Just opinions though....You are already showing intelligence by asking for advice.....

10. bigmacdaddy

bigmacdaddy LawnSite Member

just do a good job and beware no matter how much better you do than the trash talker, that business is more about who you know, then what you know...you can do 10x better work 4 less money & still lose the account. So don't stress over this dude...& maybe sneak up to the bank on a Sunday afternoon & rearrange or add some flower beds, for a surprize color explosion...gl