What should i do for my pond in the winter?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by DodgeTruckMan731, Sep 23, 2006.

1. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to keep it running during the winter its only about a 60 gallon tub pond, i was wondering if i should heat it or aerate it, or if just the little fountain would do the trick, the average temps here in SE Michigan for winter are about 15- 35 degrees rough, or should i just forget about keeping it going during the winter and winterize it?

2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Come on anybody? i know next to nothing about ponds. help me out.

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You could build a greenhouse over it. It wouldn't take a very big one to cover a pond that size. That's what I do for my pond in the winter. If the greenhouse will get much in the way of sun during the winter months, you should be good to go.

Vic

4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just now finishing the pond at my house and I was under the impression that I could just let it freeze over. It's deep enough so that it wouldn't freeze solid and the fish just hang out on the bottom. At least that's what I've seen people do here. It makes sense to me. What do fish do that live in the lakes and rivers? I guess I'll find out for sure come spring.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Victor,

Do you set it up like a cold frame, or do you run heat to it?

6. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

if you let it freeze over you need to provide a small area for gas exchange. gases will build up in the water and kill your fish if there is not some "open' water.

the green house idea is a good one. pvc frame and some plastic sheeting and you should be good to go.

7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

like a cold frame. I don't heat it. The sun does all the work. :)

Vic

8. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

put a small electric floatable heater and let it run through the winter .. thats what i did .

9. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

look at the link, those I hear work the best, they leave a small circle in the pond for the gas exchange, they are relatively cheap and a good investment if you have fish you want to keep.

Im not very knowledgable when it comes to northern temps (50 degrees and I think Im dying), but dont fish ponds need to be a certain depth for freezing winters? Like 18" or somethin?
    Also, these lil pond heaters are all over Ebay, so you may pick up a cheaper one there......

http://www.pondliner.com/ThermoPond.htm

10. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

yes most pond builders go only 24 inches .... in the winter time ... the water only freezes about 6 inch from the top and the electric heaters work great ... .... i found out this year from a landscape supply in southeast michigan .. that if you go any deeper .. you need to pull a swimming pool permit in michigan .... i dont know if its the same anywhere else or not ....