What should I do with extra gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Dec 13, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have alot of gas in my blowers and wackers still, since the season ended so quickly with the first snowfall. Just wondering does it all have to go to waste? I have alot of gas + oil mix still in the cans, can I put fuel stbalizer in that?

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you can. Or run it in your snow blower. I save 2 cycle overwinter and have never had a problem.

3. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Most 2 Cycle oils have a fuel stabilizer in it, so it should be OK for the winter storage. Just look at the bottle of oil that you use it will say on it if it comes with the stabilizer or not.

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i dump most of mine in the truck, 20 gallon tank, 4 gallons of mixed gas wont hurt it, had a dealer recommend ok

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The mixed wont' hurt your vehicle, just put it in there

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most of the time I had just let mine set over winter, but I had problems with my new redmax hedge trimmers this last spring. Not sure if they being new had something to do with or not. I dumped the gas out and put new in it and it ran fine. I have a wood burning stove in the garage I use over winter. I usually use the left over gas to start fires.

7. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I've had countless auto shop teachers tell me that when you have bad gas or bad/extra mix gas, to just toss it in your truck. They say that the rate at which a car/truck burns this stuff is a lot different than a small engine and that it won't hurt your vechile. I've left it in the equipment in years past and have never had a problem with it.:cool:

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I leave gas and oil mix in all my 2 cycle equipment over winter. Just make sure you run stabil in the the gas and let it run until it gets in the carb. I worry about having the rubber parts in the carb drying out and cracking so I leave gas in them.

9. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

oh...ive had bad experiences with gas and fire...my brother got really burned when he and my grandfather went to light the fire(my brother is fine and looks fine now)...and my g-pa is a really cautious guy...just thought i'd share past experiences

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with putting it in your vehicle . the dilution rate is such that it's not like it's even in there .