1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What should i do with this motor? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pclawncare, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6 or 6.5 hp i cant remember kawasaki engine off a john deere jx 85 i hit a pipe sticking out of the ground when scalping and bent the crank shaft. this winter i am concidering taking the engine all appart my self and replacing the bent crank. It is a virtical shaft engine and it is fairly new and runs strong. I have already replaced the engine on the mower with a spare i bout for 50 bucks off a mexican friend of mine. My question is what should i do with the engine has anyone ever seen anyone build a bumper mout leaf vac with a vertical shaft engine? Maybe i will just keep it for a spare anyone with any other ideas id kind of like to use it for something because the mowers are getting older and may just be replaced if they break. Any ideas?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

It'll cost you more in parts than the thing is worth.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If it hasn't started already, it's gonna start blowing oil out the shaft because the seal is gonna wear really fast. I've seen them straightened but, It's a crapshoot.
  4. pclawncare

Tharrell i was thinking if i could find a good use for the engine then i would replace the whole crank shaft. It would cost me for the crank but i can do the labor my self i still might junk it i was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for it
  5. mythntr

mythntr LawnSite Member

One of my workers did the same thing to a Kawi engine also. It was brand new. Toro gave me quotes to replace the crank and it was 100 less than a brand new engine. Someone told me that its possible to weld and them grind to take the shimmy out, but I havent gotten around to checking that out yet.
  6. pclawncare

i think a crank is like 100 dollars maybe a little more for a new one, but it may be a good project. Kawi are amazing engines though i have a 75 and an 85 and they both run strong 7 and 8 yrs old commercial ran every day. I cant believe john deere would go and mess up a great mower like they did when they redesigned them or what ever they did i have herd that the engine sucks and that they dont bag half as good as the old models and alota people have had a lot of problems with them too
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I bent the shaft on my old Deere JS63 on a pole in the ground (a steel property line marker). It was only two months old and the local Deere dealership said it wasn't worth fixing. My local repair shop put it on a machine to straighten out the shaft. It ran like new for years.:)
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

they make good anchors....
  9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to go the cheap route then get the crank straitened out. It may or may not be perfect - but can give you a couple more years out of it.
  10. shsmallengines

shsmallengines LawnSite Member

straiten the crank