What should I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, May 7, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I just pick up an account with burmuda sod and its just starting to green up. The lawn was not scalped so my client has been cutting it really high to keep from cutting of the top layer of green grass. This lawn also has grass clipping that is so thick that you can see the dead clippings in the lawn two weeks after it has been mowed.

I raked about a 10 sqft square in the lawn and I pulled so much grass clippings that I had to put it in a bag to throw away. I was thinking it need to be dethatched but its a new subdivision and the sod was just put down two years ago. The customer want me to detatch and I told him I would but I just dont want to damage his lawn.

What do you guys think I should do?

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

A good raking with a spring tine rake mounted on a mower will help.
    C4 turf requires this process at least twice a year in addition to a gooed aeriying, and you should collect the clippings when you mow until the quantity of organic matter is greatly reduced.
    Also, check the soil fertility level as undecomposed organic matter is a good sign of a lack of fertility.

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

You might be able to just scalp it. That should pick up alot of the thatch. Sounds like its only been mulched. In my experience, bermuda isnt good for mulching so bagging and cutting fairly short early in the season is the go.

If its starting to green up now, now is the best time to scalp and hit it with a slow release fert.

Good luck!

4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I was under the impression the you shouldn't scalp a lawn after it starts to green up. What is your take on this?

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You have to be careful with new hybrid bermuda regarding cutting it too low after it starts to green up and temperatues rise in 90F. What you can do is cut it down low in spring(may be getting a little late now) then continue to raise mower a little as time goes on. Any scalping on this grass when it is hot will result in it not coming out until next year. We use mulching mowers with plates on exit 100% of the time on bermuda and have no problem. We do a lot of commericial properties.

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

To be honest, I dont know what sort of bermuda's you have over there so Hess may be right. Im just going off what Ive done on some over here.

Its spring there isnt it?
    On one particular lawn I used to do, customer used to get it fert'ed. So I came in a week after the fert and scalp to about 1". Got customer to give it a good water and within 2 or 3 weeks it was a nice short lawn again. Idea was that while its growing so fast, it comes back quicker.