what should I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 04TurfT, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I have a turf tracer and the cover on the deck has a few rust spots where the paint has chipped off and I would just repaint it, but the paint that is on there is very thick so I don't really know what to do? Does exmark sell touchup paint?

2. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

B U M P...... B U M P

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a lawn mower.... Its going to get chipped up.

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave it go. Your going to fight a losing battle

5. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hey Chad, it probably is a losing battle, but still, you can clean up the rust and touch up the paint. We are not an Exmark dealer, but a friend is and he gave me the part number for the touch up paint. Contact a local dealer to see if they have it. Part number 850337. The original paint is powder coated on, so it will be thicker than the spray you put on. However, you are still protecting the metal from more rust, so go for it!! Mike

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just about any hardware store will mix you up some paint to match your mower. I guess I would get a rust plate enamel. Take a painted part off the mower and have them analyze it and match the color. Take a small touch up brush, q-tip, etc and dab a little on after you have sanded the rust spot. It will slow down the rust but you will probably have to reaply it eventually. Keep a watch on areas like this and you can keep your equipment in better shape. No you'll probably never win but in a few years time you'll be better off for the effort. I wax my mowers a couple of times a year and will touch up area's to slow any rust. I get top dollar when I resale...

7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to say just clean the rust and spray paint it. I did that for awhile and gave.

8. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

By the way, Chad, nice website. I like your design and your pictures are excellent. I can't wait to see the other pages of the site once you are done....Mike

9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Give it a shot of Fluid Film, and just reapply on occasion. Fluid Film will keep it rust proof and will work as a wax to keep it shiny and looking sharp.