What should I do?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nappy1738, Mar 25, 2007.

1. nappy1738

nappy1738 LawnSite Member

Well I just started out last year mowing for money. I had 3 moderately sized accounts last year which gave me a little extra income and got me really interested in starting a business. This year i dont know what i should do though because i am going away to school for the fall at MSU. Fall semester starts in late august so im wondering what i should do. Should i advertise to provide lawn care through august? I dont know if that would fly or should i just hang it up until i am out of school? Please give me some advice!!

Nap

2. mbaker422

mbaker422 LawnSite Member

I would be honest with the customer. Some would be more than willing to help out a college student. Do quality work and they will remember you when it comes time for you to go full time.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ditto:weightlifter: :clapping:

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

How far are you from college? Can you come home home on the weekends and do them? Is there anyone you could have do your accounts while you are in school? Just build up accounts now, and then if you do have to give them up sell, them to another LCO in your area.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

well that would give him a great reputation, and im sure there are lots of LCO's who would be happy to deal with angry customers. either be upfront or help make others look good by picking up your slack when you stop showing up. i always remind my customers, you get what you pay for