1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JJG84, Apr 22, 2007.

1. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

Ok, I have a customer who I have had for two years now who I have been cutting grass for and she has used chemlawn on her lawn to control crabgrass and other weeds which have been known to shoot up in her lawn, and quite frankly, chemlawn must have been spraying rat piss.

Her grass is plain out ugly. The "grass" has crabgrass, uneven grass coverage and spots.

I asked the lady today how much she truly cared about her lawn, and she said "I care alot about it!" (shes 70+ years old). Which lead me to start mentioning ways we can start revitalizing her lawn. I suggested to her Dethatching and possibly overseeding with one of those lawn overseeders. I also mentioned aerating to her. The lady has tons of money to spend, and has it for a reason: shes cheap! But I know if I present her with some great information (on paper) that I can get her to accept whichever technique i choose to revitalize her lawn. Which leads me to my question (sorry for typing so much):

What do you guys suggest doing to a lawn of this condition (mixed grasses, bare spots, minimal amounts of crabgrass)? I have already applied pre-emergence crabgrass fert/herbacide on her lawn this season already (did it on april 2) , so does that disqualify the overseeding? Would de-thatching be reasonable? Aerating? Could the soil be damaged from chemlawn? Where should I start? If pictures will help, let me know and I will try to get some up here. Meanwhile, let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any replies-
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I would not do aeration or de-thaching,or overseeding

Control the weeds through the summer and then spray and kill everything in the fall and re-seed or install sod.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Since this is an entire lawn with multiple problems I'm inclined to agree with Coffeecraver... it's time to junk the existing and start over. There will be immediate results when it's completed and in the long run will be a healthier lawn that can stay that way with proper upkeep to insure that noxious weeds don't creep back in.

BTW... We're in different areas with different weather patterns but if you don't get a crabgrass pre-emergent down here by about Valentine's Day you've wasted your money as the crabgrass has most likely gone to seed and already sent up undetected new plants. Just a general rule of thumb around here.
  4. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

Thank you for the advice guys.

A new lawn install is what I was ultimately going to propose to her, but what if the soil is bad?

Should I just strip all of the soil and grass there, and add new dirt?
  5. 9Tman

9Tman LawnSite Member

Something we have had success with is...after getting control of the weeds, we distribute a half inch to inch of comtil throughout the lawn and overseed with that. This helps to breakup compacted clay soil, and adds a great deal of organic to the soil. It doesn't smell very pleasant, but she will have a very green lawn once installed.
  6. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

This late in the season, I would wait until Aug and then do a complete renovation.

Kill with non-selective herbicide late Aug and power seed 1st week of September with Turf Type Tall Fescue. The hardest part it watering correctly.

Make her wait until Aug to corret the problem and her neighbors will be looking to you for help with their properties.

Renovations are very simple to do, but require correct timing and good watering practices.

Hope this helps.
  7. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

Thank you for the replies. All are in consideration.