What should I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lukemelo216, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

Ok,so last month I submitted a bid to the assisted living home my grandma lives at. I called today to check on the status of my bid and found out I got the job. Then the owner throws this little number at me. My son is in need of a job this summer, so would we be able to work it out where you cut it one week, and then he cuts it the next. She still wants me to do all the cleanups, shrubs, all that and even finish installing the landscaping that this other company didnt finish. I wasnt sure how to reply to this customer so I said Ill get back to you on the matter. So how should I go about doing this. I mean My income from that account will be cut by nearly $100 per month. I really want this account, but how do you guys think I should talk to her abut this to ensure that I get it all weeks. I thought about it and it can go bad for me 2 ways. A) She realizes she can pay her son $20 or $30 less per week then me and just says hes going to do the job (after she sends me a notice to cancel) or I get the account all year long and then his work reflects poorly on mine because i guarantee hes not using commercial equipment which is built to do this kind of work and built to provide top quality professional results

2. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

there really isnt a way to respond to this. both ways is bad for you. Hes the owner.. if you say no. he could give the whole acct to his son. If you say yes, your out 100 buck a month and your cleaning up his mistakes every time you mow.

I need to think about this one a little more. This is a puzzler

3. lukemelo216

from ...

exactly, and fyi the owner is actually a girl

4. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

You need to address the issue as a professional and in a professional way! You should let her know that your bid was for a weekly service and your committment to her was to provide her with quality service that YOUR work reflects. If that is not enough to keep the account than maybe you can hire her son to work with you, just be careful!

5. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say. If I won the bid then I'll use my staff to do the work.

Likely the senario is the kid isn't licensed isnt' insured etc.

Are you sure this person OWNS the place and isn't the manager?

If they own it then obviously they can tell you to walk... but if they thought the kid could do, why put it out for bid in the first place?

are you going to get blamed for what this kid screws up? cause if he does screw something up it's likely gonna be he blames you....

back to my first comment.... I'm in a financial situation that I could easily tell them to pack sand. You many not be. If you need the money that bad.... well that's your decision isn't it?

6. lukemelo216

from ...

I thought about having him work for me, but what he would make a measly $10 a week. With me by myself, it would be about 1.5 hours work. With him about an hour to hour and 15. Because believe me, the only thing he would do would be trimming and then blowing the clippings, he wouldnt be running the machines. And yes I am sure this is the owner. IDK why she would do it this way. I dont want to walk from the job, but I am not running a business to share my work.

7. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

back to my first comment.... I'm in a financial situation that I could easily tell them to pack sand. You many not be. If you need the money that bad.... well that's your decision isn't it?[/QUOTE]

I think that I have to agree with you.

Maybe you could let him help you mow that property. but only on that property.....

yeah.. that wouldnt work..

good luck. Im glad that I dont have to deal with that

8. jrandallb

jrandallb LawnSite Member

Maybe ask her if he is going to carry insurance

9. lukemelo216

from ...

when I talked to my parents about this, (I am 18 so i just wanted my dads opinion on how to approach the matter professionally, he was like well its better to have piece of the pie than none. And i was like true, but Im not in this business for part of it, Im in for the whole thing. I just really want to try and solve this matter in a professional way and land the account for each week. Sot thats why I turned to you guys. Any help would be appreciated thanks

10. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

i would just tell her i will take it weekly or she can hire her son. we are talking about a $50 cut here right? to me it would'nt be worth the hassle of dealing with to have to hire her son for a $50 a week job just my opinion.