What should I do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Well here I go, I have a year round client who still owes me half of this months payments. I require payment by the 10th of every month, If its not on time there is a $25.00 late fee. This guy lives in a VERY nice house and drives a very nice car. I called him 3 times so far and every time I ask him for the rest of MY money he gets very short and claims he doesnt have it. This guy is a close friend of my entire family and that is why I think he is playing games with me. Ive realy tried to be profesional about the whole thing but Im loosing my patience with him and am dropping his contract Feb 1. What can I do (legaly) to get Paid, as in 8 years of biz Ive never had a year round contract not pay. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

2. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

How much does he owe? Is it really worth it?
    Just keep on him and don't do his yard until he pays. When he does, drop him.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jusmowin

I wish I had only one customer that owed me 1/2 of one months payment.

If you can't carry this on your accounts receivable with out missing a meal then you are in the wrong business. Get a real job and try to go to work most of the time. This guy had a big X-mas and is still paying it off. He will catch up. Besides how much work are you doing for him this time of year? Get a life.

Oops I should have looked in your profile to see if you were 16 or 17. I am sorry, please disregard this post

4. Jusmowin

Tim, he only owes me $75.00(50 plus the $25 late fee) but Its the purpose of it that I gave him a very good price because he was a family friend and now it seems that hes taking advantage of that. Also in Jan & Feb that I count on that money .

5. Jusmowin

RIC, please try being a little kinder when you post as I do have a part time job, split firewood and maintain my year round accounts. Iwould say that keeps me plenty busy for now.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jusmowin

Please accept my apology. I have not walked a mile in your shoes and therefore have no right.

You have replied to me with a level head and mature attitude and that I will respect you for. I am twice your age and my family is grown and gone now. I need to remember now hard it was to raise a family and pay bills.

You must realize also that one customer that owes you 1/2 month pay is not what most mowing companies would consider bad. In fact most would be tickled pink to have that kind of outstanding receivables.

Good Luck to you

7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

A $25 late fee is extremely harsh. I'd be pissed off too if I was that guy.

It's a chore to pay the bills. With the holidays, maybe he just didn't get around to it.

Maybe you should be a little more tolerant.

I still have some money out there, but I'm not going to get in their face about it. They are all proven customers. I know the money will come in. I will probably be re-invoicing a few, but that's no big deal. I'll give them another month, then I'll call or stop by. I'm not going to be pissed or emotional about it though.

I always get paid sooner or later.

8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Also, you're crazy to consider legal action on a $50 debt so soon.

My advice, calm down. Don't begin a harrassment campaign.

I think your $25 late charge is unreasonable and is probably an obstacle to getting paid. I wouldn't pay it. Hell no.

9. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Have you asked him when he can pay. Let him tell you when he can pay and set up the schedule. If you are only out $50 in actual fees, chill.

10. Jusmowin

RIC& Just a lawn guy , thank you for the replys and I know its not a large amount of money or realy even that late. Its the pure fact that if I make every effort to get the work done on time (Im there when I tell them Im gonna be there) that there is no reason why he should not be on time with paying me, or he could of just called me at the begining of the month and said "hey I went a little over board at x-mas and I will be a little late with your check" and I in turn would of said "sure no problem just pay me as soon as you can" and that would of not been a problem. As for a $25.00 late fee, in the 8 years Ive been in this biz this is the only time Ive EVER charged a late fee and I maintain 25 to 30 clients a year solo. Also if I where to pay a bill late I would call and let them know that I was going to be late paying and expect to pay a late fee, so why should my services be any different? This is just my 2 cents worth.