What should I do?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 1QWK96GT, Jun 10, 2013.

1. 1QWK96GT

1QWK96GT LawnSite Member

Sorry I didnt reply earlier. I don't do commercial mowing. I don't even do residential I just mow my yard once a week and have been doing so with a old 1985 John Deere 111 that I have kept going for this long. I wanted the comfort of a newer mower and saw what I thought was a good deal. This thing is practically brand new and way nicer of a mower than what I am used to. It was $175 even if I throw an engine on it for $530. I would be into it for $705. I see these mowers going for about $1000. If I could get a cheaper used engine then I could bring my total cost in the mower down substantially. Remember I am only using it to mow my grass once a week nothing crazy. Thats why I am shopping for the cheapest alternative. This actually is a really nice mower that was professionally serviced by our local John Deere service department and used to cut a .23 acre lot. I think it was a good deal for a John Deere 115A. Around here where I live $175 would buy you something like this http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/grd/3853360244.html. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks :)
  2. 1QWK96GT

1QWK96GT LawnSite Member

Update: So I bought the engine I listed on eBay. To make it complete I used my flywheel, starter, carburetor, engine cover, etc etc. We put everything together and mounted to the mower. We have gas air and spark but the engine will not fire. We have blue flames coming out of the exhaust which means it is backfiring through the exhaust. I have cranked on this mower ALOT no start. My question is one of two things. Either the flywheels are not interchangeable and the timing is off or the exhaust valve is stuck. My question are the flywheels interchangeable? Did briggs change them from a
    31P877 type:0110 E1 code 051109ze

to a

31P677 type: 0804 B1 code 2009 model year.

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Go to the Briggs site and look up the IPL. That will tell ya if they use the same flywheel.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The flywheel part numbers are different due to one having a steel ring gear and the other is aluminum, Timing is NOT the issue.

Pop the head and remove valves, Check the guides then clean the rust off the valves and lap back in......
  5. 1QWK96GT

1QWK96GT LawnSite Member

Found the problem. Exhaust valve leaking.