What should I do?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 2, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow a local bank for $35, first time this season it took me 30minutes and I was happy... But the grass is simply growing out of control, to the point that its now taking me over an hour by time I double cut it and spend a lot of extra time blowing out the landscape... Should I accept it and wait for it to stop growing or should I mow it twice a week???? My contact at the bank is out of town for a few weeks and when I asked if it was ok to mow it twice a week, a bunch of shoulders shrugged...

2. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 LawnSite Member

I'D GO TO TWICW A WEEK AND MOW IT ONE TIME AT SATURDAY AROUND 9:30 AM. ONE IT WILL MAKE THE BANK LOOK BETTER AND TWO ITS FREE ADVERTISING TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING INTO THE BANK. I AM SURE SOME ONE OR MANY WILL ASK YOU TO LOOK AT THERE PROPERTY AND IF YOU GET ENOUGH LEADS THEN EVENTUALLY YOU CAN GIVE UP THE BANK JOB AND TIME WILL NO LONGER BE A CONCERN

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well do you have some kind of agreement signed ? If so does it mention that the frequency of mowing may need to change due to growth pattern? I'm sure if we have hot dry weather that they wont want you there when the grass is dormant...so... it cuts both ways(pardon the pun)..If it were me I would cut it when it needs it. Our weather has been making the grass go nuts the past 2 weeks. If they say no to this, put them on the "might not renew them next year" list. You are well within your rights to increase the frequency of mowing. You can also tell them it is harmful to the grass to be cutting any more than one third of grass blades in any single mowing....maybe this will help them to justify to the financial bean counter why a couple more mows this month are required...good luck

4. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Well they have asked me to mow it when they are not open, which I really prefer because of the cars parked over the curbing.. If I mow it when they are open, I end up going back to touch up the areas where the cars where..

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Forgot one thing...is this property fertilized? SOunds like it might be. If it is, you always need to factor that in when bidding. Most of my commercial stuff is not fertilized therefore the growth is not as fast but even without fert, the grass is really going bonkers right now.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Jon99 what does your contract state? Did you go with a certain number of cuttings per season or a frequency of mowing such as every 7 - 10 days? Yes the grow will slow down in the heat of the summer but you will need to talk with contact or refer to your contract.

Gravely_Man

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

why is there extra time for blowing out the landscapes or did i mis interprit that??? have you tried double blades, or rather are you using them? maybe that will help and eliminate the double mowing? well best of luck and as stated above check the contract first.