what should i do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by draftlawncare, Mar 10, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

I bidded on a commercial account last week and while looking at my bid proposal I noticed that my total on the mulch was incorrect. Is it wrong to call the manager and tell him I made a mistake, its a 15 yard mistake Ask to submit a new bid or will he think if I cant bid right then I probably could not do the job right either
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think you should contact him and make the correction. At least he'll know you care enough to be accurate, which might translate into . . .you are conscious about your work too. Even if you don't tell him, he is making a decision based on the wrong info. And if he doesn't call anyway, even with the super deal you are giving him, he probably wouldn't hire you anyway.
    Besides, if he is so close - minded that he will not listen to your correction, he will probably be hard to work with.
    Also, calling him will give you another chance to interact with him and sell yourself, but don't make it sound like a pitch. Just make the correction and move on.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Did you mention on the bid how many yards of mulch? If so, then you should tell him. Your bid will seem out of line with the others.

But if you didn't, consider doing it this way;

If the error you made resulted in the price being lower than what you need to charge - then WAIT! Don't do anything until you hear if you got the job or not. First get the job, then mention that you always re-figure everything before you actually do the work. THEN, go back and re-check and mention that you found an error. Appologize and explain it was an honest mistake but that the bid will change slightly. Do all of this before a contract is signed. By this time, you will already have the job and it is unlikely he'll withdraw it from you at this point in the game - even with the increase in price.

If he never calls back and you DON'T get the job, oh well. Better he didn't know you made a mistake anyway. He must have found someone to do it even cheaper, which is crazy.

Some people will say this is deceptive. I don't think so. If you did this on purpose - to get the job then change the deal later - that would be deceptive. But in this case, it was an honest mistake. You're just not bringing the mistake to the table until it really matters.

If the error you made resulted in your bid being HIGHER than what you would actually charge - then by all means - tell him immediately! You want to be as competitive as possible.
  4. draftlawncare

thanks JIM and ****** I think i will call the manager tomorrow and explain the problem. I dont know how i did it some how over estimated the mulch on this job by 15 yards at $70 a yard that adds up
  5. draftlawncare

well reckon you cant say ****** on here