What should I do????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Landed an account last week mowing the community property at a trailer park, takes me 3 hours and I get $140, really can't complain...

The company owns another one, asked me to do it, after looking at it I thought it would take me about 4 hours since there are 14 units and community property, told them $200 and they said ok... Yesterday I mowed it for the first time and it took me right at 2 hours.. This is an account I would like to keep because they are both very easy and not fussy, would I be crazy to tell her I will mow the other one for $150 instead of $200, hoping to build trust and a long term customer???? Or just shut up, take the money and hope they don't realize they are over paying???

2. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

Jon,
    If it were me, I would lower the price some, she would never expect it and would probably appreciate it and keep you in mind for future jobs. However I wouldn't lower it so much that just in case someone came in and underbid you later on down the line you wouldn't have some sort of "wiggle" room with the price. That's just my 2 cents.

Mark

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not lower the price, but I would do a extra nice job every time and perhaps little extras like clean up small limbs, leaves or just go the extra mile for them. This would make you look very good and you can attribute the extra profit to this. = win/win

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

PJ has a good point here. The customer has agreed to the price and know your previous work. They must feel that it was acceptable. I try to tell the customer what I can give them, give them a price for what I can give them it for, then give them more than they would expect. You will win them over and win their trust and respect as well.

B

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Win their trust and respect as well????? What happens if this company opens their eyes and gets some other bids, and they come in consistently at $100- $125/ cut?? Who's trust is won then??

6. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Frankly, this is not a nice property and quality doesn't seem to be a big concern, if I pick up sticks or do any extra work, I really don't think anyone would even notice..

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I would lower the price some and again , gain some confidence from your customer that you are a honest business man. Unfortunately someone will probably underbid you at some point though.

8. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Lawns and Mower, I don't know about you, but I bid what I think I can get for a job and then do quality work. If someone wants to low-ball a $200 job and only make $100 to $125, then that is the cost of doing business. I won't sweat loosing an account that way. I don't lower my fees, or standards for that matter, so I can make the sale. My name and reputation is attatched to every lawn my company touches.

The saying "you get what you pay for" holds true in a lot of cases. I quote a job for what I think it's worth, try to give them more than what they pay for, and earn their respect and trust. Jon99 offered a bid based on his own reasons. It was his offer, his client accepted, and now he has to prove to them that it was worth it. If you give them what they pay for, then how could you NOT earn their trust and respect?

B

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

DITTO what PJ says.

Also, THEY AGREED TO THE PRICE. YOU DIDN'T HOLD A GUN TO THERE HEAD (did you?)!

Mike

10. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Battag, you're missing the point here. This is not a $200 job. This should be a $100 job based on Jon99's rate. He thought it would take 4 hrs, so he priced it at $50/hr. Now he realizes he has overbid it and is having second thoughts. It only took him 2 hrs. Someone else pricing this at $100 is not lowballing. Seems as if you bid what you think you can milk out of the customer, not what it's actually worth. Sorry, but I was taught ethics and honesty growing up.