What should I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justinleroy04, Jul 27, 2004.

1. justinleroy04

justinleroy04 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that I used to mow her lawn every week throughout the season. This lawn is on the intersection of 2 highways, so everyone sees it as they go by. Of course I put the best looking stripes on it and do her a great job. A couple weeks ago she told me to mow her grass low and that she didn't care what it looked like. Well last week she told me to only mow twice a month. The grass is already very thick at one weeks mowing and I can't imagine mowing twice a month. What do you guys do with customers like this? I would have to raise the price to mow the taller grass but thats not the point. I'm not going to run a bushhogging service with my brand new JD 757 mower. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Tell her just that............Our machines are not meant for abuse just because someone wants to reduce their costs either.

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dump her like a hot potato!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not do every other week cuts period!!!!!!!!

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on ejk2352 its not worth it and tell her that in a very nice way.

5. justinleroy04

justinleroy04 LawnSite Member

The thing I hate about dropping her is that one of the million people that mow yards in my small town will get it. I hate to lose business but oh well.

6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Mow it twice a month and double her price. Explain to her that you'll need to double mow it when it gets that high. If she won't go for that suggest a 10-day mowing schedule. If that doesn't fly then it's up to you whether you drop her or not.

I know some LCO's will not mow on a 10 day schedule, but unfortunately the customer is the boss and signs the checks. As for myself I don't have enough accounts to pick & choose who I will provide service for, so if they want it 3 times a month they get it. It worked out just fine as I picked up one customer due to the fact my competitor would only take them on a weekly basis. That customer then promptly referred another customer to me.

Buck

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin See you lady!!

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is too long between cuttings. That will take longer to make the property to look good and will be harder on the equipment. I wouldnÂ’t allow that to happen but that is just me.

Gravely_Man

9. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Tell her it is not good for the grass to have that much cut off at a time. Also tell her if the lawn is not tall enugh you will skip her until the lawn needs cutting. That has worked for me in the past. Six of my new customers are exactly like this. Thier old service told them they cut every week or not at all. The old service does not cut anymore. I have only had to skip a fiew times and this freed me up to do other work. Like up north said the customer is the boss. The customer does need to be told when things are wrong or not good for the lawn most of them have no clue. If it is all about finances for the bi weekley cutting just do it and charge 1/2 more than normal weekley charge. If none of these work than forget her.