what should I get??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CAT MAN, May 10, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ok Im 15 and when I turn 16 I want to get a truck and mower (good one) and get into the lawn mowing business and my friend might be my partner so I was thinking of getting a john deere z track 757 or and Jd utility trackor 3203 what one would you guys get to start and how much should I charge per lawn?? please help.

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm glad your thinking about getting into the lawn mowing business its a good business to get into there is alot of potential to make some good money. but remember there is alot of competition out there, and alot of people that are only doing it part time that cut just to make a few bucks and it seems they tend to low ball.

to answer your question, a good mower in my oppion would be a 36in or 48in wb to start. bob-cat,toro,exmark,scag are the brands that i like. also i would look into a small trailer like a 5-10 to pull behind your truck for your mower and stuff.

also one thing that i whish i had done, don't go to big before you get out of school, when i was a senior in highschool i was mowing 50 lawns a week and had no time for school work, now i'm a freshmen in college and am on the verge of failing all my classes becuase i'm mowing about 110 lawns a week and have absolutly no time. Just remember you have your entire life to make money, enjoy your free time while you can, me personaly i never went to prom or any school activities becuase i was allways working, just think about this before you go all out.

hope this helps
    alex

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

look for a good used w/b that a reputable dealer can service for you. dealers can really help you so build a relationship w/ a good one. a lot of em really like young guys that are just getting started too. older belt driven w/b can cheaply be obtained and you can get great service out of one.

a word of advice about your friend being your partner though, working w/ a friend can put unnessacary stress on your relationship. dont sacrifice that for money.

good luck!

4. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

i too started just like you and im now 19 and service close to 30 account plus full time college student. full time girlfriend and a love for scuba diving but like the other guy said it can get overwhelming and thats why i dont have the work load like him. i save my money and that many accounts is perfect for my needs. but def start with a walkbehind or a used ZTR that you can get pretty cheap and working with friends is a lose / win kind of deal. but just start small. small is good and in a yr youll have a 16ft trailer with three mowers and plenty of work and the best thing over all a good amount of money in the bank $$$$$$

5. maroj248

maroj248 LawnSite Member

very true. my friend and i were partners on a few different websites. we disagreed on a lot of things, and now were are no longer partners, but we are still good friends.

6. CAT MAN

from PA

well i am good friends with the guys at the john deere dealer and can get a z track 757 pretty cheap and the friend thing is optional, but like one of you said after one year I can get better stuff what would you guys get?? rember I love JD equitment

7. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

i have a belt driven toro thats 14 yrs old so they are good and it still runs like bat out of hell, but the jd wb i really didnt like but its all preference. i do lie the 757 i ran one for about 4 months on a comm account for a company and i loved it was like a bmw on mowing lol

8. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i woud never buy john deere ever!! i had JD equipment the first year i was in business and it was in the shop more then i was useing it. i put 2 trans in it and had the engine rebuilt with in the first 2 years i had it, and after the 3rd time the trans went i sold it.

if i were you i would look for a good used walk behind you dont need a JD 757 thats alot of mower for a young guy like your self starting out. if your fixed on john deere i would look into there walk behinds. but if your willing to try other brands toro makes a great mower.

and if your looking to buy new go with what ever dealer will treat you the best after the sale, ask to see there parts department and see if they will show you there shop and introduce you the the guys who will be working on your mowers. your dealer should be proud of there business and want you to see what gos on behind the sceens.

but like i've said twice now i would deffently look for a used wb you can pick up a great gear drive for under a $1,000 or you could get a nice hydro for under $1500, and i think a jd 757 will cost you around like 7,000 right, so why not save 5500. and then in a few years once you have out grown what ever mower you find for your self then look into a ztr.

hope this helps

9. CAT MAN

from PA

ok a walk behind wouldnt be the best here in prompton PA, I have mowed with with a big john deere residental riding mower and they are nice with the kawasaki motor what do you guys think of one of them??

10. CAT MAN

from PA

how do you like the jd you have know??