What should I pay a Family Member?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Dad has been doing the small engine thing for a few years now and is starting to get burned out. Lately he has said how he misses lawn care as he actually had his own LCO several years ago but always stayed small and part time (10 yards or less). I'm at the point where I need help as I've about maxed out all I can do. We've worked together a few days when he was slow and the 2 of us could bang out some yards pretty quick, but each time he wouldn't take any money as we always kind of trade work out (I'd help him in the shop on weekends or rainy days). If I had him work with me what would be a fair way to pay him since he already knows how to operate the equipment, I can use his dealer number to get parts cheap, and of course it's dad. I was thinking somewhere around 25% of gross as I feel he is worth more then 2 employees who don't know what there doing but also everything is mine and I have to cover the operating costs and such. I plan on doing a large adverting gig in March & April to try and gain 50-75 customers which is going to cost nearly $2k. Any advice is appreciated.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

25% of gross may be more than you make. every business is in a different stage, mine is still growing and investing in equiptment, but my profit is in the high 40s to low 50s. so, at 25% he could be making more than you.

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

that is some advertising gig 50-75 customers. Let me know how that goes. If you really want to be fair find out what he needs to live and pay him. Than if you do grow bump him up

4. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

A word to the wise, don't pay him and keep looking for workers. And I have to agree with Frue. I don't know how you're going to get 50-75 customers from only $2K? Unless they were all in-out jobs for $25 a pop. I'm in a family owned and operated business now and the nursery was owned by my finacee's uncle, he sold the company to his nephews, the uncle still worked for us, but he all the sudden had GREAT ideas for the company since it wasn't his anymore and they fired him this month. The moral of the story is: try your hardest to not hire family or friends. B/c this uncle is no longer associating with ANY of the family b/c of this incident which they did not cause.

5. deason

deason LawnSite Member

What should you pay a family member?

Nothing more and nothing less than they are worth.

6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't hire him at all ! Right now as i speak i have a family member that i don speak to because of this. He started as my best worker, but slowly started messing up. I tryed not to say anything and just blow it off. I just didn't want the conflict with my family because it does carry over into your personally life. He finally got to the point he didn't show for 2 days straght ,never called me back, but sent his girlfriend on friday to get his check, monday i had fired him. That was this spring we still don't speak. It is alot differrent working with someone, sometimes, and day in and out. If you are married it is about the difference in dateing a girl or living with one, its just is not the same.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't ask us ask your dad!

I wish my dad was alive he would love to help out

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

The ? should be how much is going to pay you!

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Dude he is talking about his dad hear not some bozo

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand the troubles that come from working with family, we had a few problems when he first started helping me but we talked and he learned I have pride in my work and it's my name out there and he finally realized times have changed and if your being paid as a professional you better do professional work. Since then we haven't had a problem, I trained him to run a Z and I do the trim work. Hell, you guys are always talking about how hard it is to find someone who takes pride in their work and won't destroy your equipment. I've hired young guys before, they broke equipment, did crap work (if they showed) and caused be to lose accounts. I figured this could be a win for both of us.