What should I pay for this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Johnson LCO, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a grasshopper 722d. It is a 2006 with 1100 hours on the kubota diesel engine. It has a 60 flip up deck (not sure if powerfold) frontmount without a bagger. It is from a delaer, what do you think I should pay? They are a bit over 12k new. Be reasonable, and in a bit I will post what he is asking, I just want some unbiased opinions. Thanks.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

$6,000 maybe $6,500. Why are you set on grasshoper, and why a front mount?

3. Johnson LCO

I really want a diesel just becuase of the life expectancy, I have been around a lot of grass hoppers and love the quality and I have heard such good reviews of the 722d that i really want one (some even claim it only goes through half a gallon of fuel an hour). Not to mention my only local dealer is grasshopper so it is convenient.

4. Johnson LCO

Anyone else?

5. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

$4000-$4500

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

$3500 tops,the mower is 10 feet long do you mow a farm?

7. Johnson LCO

Many of the lawns I mow are very flat. There are a lot of large properties that have pines that take forever to string trim. In the past I have used a hustler super z with a 60" deck but I decided to get a frontmount to fit under the trees. I dont haver any properties that are tight so I am not wooried about the length. The dealer is asking 6900$ which is almost half the price of a new unit. It is only 2 years old and 1100 hours is not much at all on a diesel kubota. It was the cheapest I could find among dealers and private sellers. I am wondering what I should offer and how flexible prices from dealers are, the previous owner bought a new one if that helps so the dealer can afford to come down on it. I was thinking of offering $6k and going from there. Any ideas?

8. Johnson LCO

no one? Where are all the grasshopper owners?

9. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I would say 6000 - 6500 depending on condition. Even 6900 is not a bad price for that mower as long as it is in good condition. Make sure you check all the wheel bearings and belts including the pump drive belts under the cover in front of the radiator. Be sure that the 1000 hour service has been done on the hydraulic system before you buy it.

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like a good price, but always try for lower. I just looked at tractorhouse.com and found some 721Ds, which are similar. They had between 660-950 hrs asking $6900-8000. For the hours, try to get him down to $6500 or lower. I'd love to have a Grasshopper. Let us know if you get it and take pictures!