What should I plant on a steep hill?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Let it Grow, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be starting a small project that has a fairly steep hill on the back edge of a property. The area is probably 100' x 75'. Currently it is full of both dead an growing weeds. The customer wants everything cleared, and some kind of very low maintenance plant planted. I think the best thing to do is to spray with Round-up, then plant some kind of Ivy...what do you guys think?

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Clear it all and do a boulder scape....Place boulders just here and there all over the hill then plant shrubs inbetween and all over in empty spaces.

4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Boulders are out of the price range that the owner is looking for. I wish I could though...it would look great!
    After talking with her more about it, I'm thinking of going with something like Blue Rug Juniper. It is quite a large lot, and will need some good erosion protection, and also I can plant these up to 4' apart so I think they should work well.
    Should be able to spray tommorrow, then clear the lot and plant next week...hopefully!

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

junipers are your best choice cause there wont be much maintenance unless you clip the end of the runners off in early spring and fertilize to cover the ground quicker. Other than that junipers are maintenance free.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I agee that Blue Rug J's are proably your best bet...next to weeds, these will grow well just about anywhere

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Might want to try the 'Emerald Gaeity' euonymus. It spreads fast and is low maintenance.

8. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

But Euonymus is susceptible to scale. It would be very difficult to spray 100' x 75' of Euonymus for scale.

jim

9. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

my vote is for asiatic jasmine

p1010004-12.jpg

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Full sun, partial sun, shade???