What should I price for digging up crape myrtles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tennessee Turf Surfer, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Tennessee Turf Surfer

Tennessee Turf Surfer LawnSite Member

Hey just curious what everyone would charge for Diggin up 20 Crape myrtles? Easy to get to but by hand no bobcat this time.

2. LandscapePenguin

LandscapePenguin LawnSite Member

How big are they, and how long do you think it will take you? I think size makes a BIG difference in this scenario. I've dug up bushes before literally in about 30-45 seconds each, but I imagine that a good-sized Crape Myrtle would take A LOT longer than that.

3. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

like said before need to know how big they are where they are being disposed off not enough information to determined the answer

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ain't no telling, all depends on the size of that root ball,
    personally speaking I do NOT "dig" bushes up by hand.

Unless it's a small one...
    And usually boxwoods, azaleas, hollies and crepe myrtles don't qualify lol

Way I do it is cut it off with the chainsaw, then bring in the stump grinder.
    I am usually amazed how fast folks back off the idea once they hear that!
    It does a good job, but I think they believe it means it's going to be expensive.
    Guess they wanted to hear how I'd tie a chain to it and pull it out with my truck? :nono:
    Fact is I find grinding is the cheapest way, too bad they were thinking I was going to sweat up a storm for minimum wage.
    Sorry, had to let that out lol

But stump grinding out the root ball works out pretty decent.

5. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

crape myrtles grow like trees here like when someone wants them trimmed up you bring your chainsaw you might want to look into renting a bobcat