What should I say to the customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, May 26, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up a new lawn customer this week, next door to a current one. THis guy for the past 2 weeks had another landscaping/heavy construction company haul in a lot of soil to build up the backyard, put in trees, cut down others, etc. He asks me Monday to mow for him, and I took it. 20 minutes, $30 perfect. Anyway, I have a dilemna now. The company who has done all the work and still has a bit more has hauled in for top soil mind you nothing but sand it seems, and mulched everything with sh*tty, rough mulch. I was looking at it closely and this stuff will wash away and not grow stuff well. Should I say anything? I know that company who did it, and I think the guy is a scumbag anyway

2. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~Tell him next time he needs work, to give you a chance to bid on it,, don't bash the other guy, what comes around will go around bro'~~

3. chevyman1

No, I don't do that kind of work (excavating, trees, etc). I don't want to get into that kind of business either, far too much overhead since I'm just starting out. What should I say or do about how crappy this work is?

4. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~Nothing at all, I would'nt~~

5. chevyman1

Don't you feel obligated to your customers to provide them with knowledge and referrals?

6. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~Dude 2+2=4,, get it? If you go around and bad mouth a competitor it will get back to him,, and then he will bad mouth you... And for what so you can look like a big man to one (1) customer, whom you are not even equiped to do this kinda work for.. And possibly lose 20 potenial clients from the badmouthing backlash,, your new, your name is all ya got at this point in buisness.~~

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Let it go. What will happen, will happen. He'll know for next time.

8. chevyman1

OK, thanks guys. That guy is a joke, starting running his mouth a month ago to me about how I'm a fool if I try to make money mowing, construction is where the dollars are. I'm mulching tonight next door to this house in question, so I will show him my style and let him make the choice in the future. Thanks

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I would MYOB in most situations

10. needa

needa LawnSite Member

As a homeowner and customer of landscaping contractors, DO NOT tell the homeowner that the work he paid for is bad. They might of done exactly what he asked them to do. I had a contractor show up to fix a water drainage problem. Alls he did was complain about the work the escavating company did when I built the house. I kindly asked him to leave.