What should I use to check belt tension?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmurphy128, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

What should I use to check belt tension?

A simple belt tension gauge is a ruler and a fish scale. Simply hook the fish scale around the belt and pull. Use the ruler to measure the distance. On some belts we recommend a 1/2" deflection with 10 lbs. of pressure. This would mean that takes a force of 10 lbs. to move the belt 1/2". Be sure to consult the operator's manual for the belt you're adjusting

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use what God gave me, my fingers.

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

The Scag manual mentioned a belt tensioning device, the folks at the dealer were like..."I seen one of them things once."
    Everyone I know uses fingers. When you get the hang of it, the nelts will last much longer. Check and adjust tension every time you grease the spindles (weekly).

5. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

Make sure to check the adjustment on a new belt often. Check and adjust the belt if necessary three times in the first 24 hours of use. In this time the belt is seating into the pulleys. If the belt is allowed to loosen as it seats in you may spin burn the belt which drastically reduces the belt life.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Exactly

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

A fish scale is more precise & you can get a non digital for under $5 so why not?