1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What should I use?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mrclean, Jul 1, 2001.

1. mrclean

mrclean LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

This was my first season in the business. I got in pretty cheaply to test the waters in our area. Didn't want to fork out all my money on the wrong equipment. I see lots of opportunity in my area and am planning on continuing my growth next year. My question is this.... Most of my clients so far are residential. I need to pick up speed with a larger mower. I am looking at either a larger push mower or riding. I want to be able to ease into doing smaller commercial accounts. I was wondering if I should move up into a larger push, and add a sulky, gettting a rider later on down the line. Or should I just go ahead and invest the money in a good rider? I am beginning my search, but am torn as to what I should get. Was wondering if I should get a Turf Tracer or a "Z". Any comments or suggestions??? Any comments as to what I should look at will be appreciated, or what you used when you got in the biz and the benefits.
    Thanks, Max
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Some may tell you to go for a rider, but for versatility, I ALWAYS suggested a walkbehind first. There is just too much you can do with them. If you are bulding into residentials, you are able to do most gated ares with a 48. Plus, they are the ultimate mower for ditches and steep hillsides. It's amazing how, with experience, you can just "drop" them down into ditches and just knock them right out. For the larger areas, (or even many of the smaller ones) A stand up sulky is the key. Good luck with it! ;)
  3. mrclean

mrclean LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for the response. That is the way I was thinking. I just didn't know which I would end up using the most. I have a rider right now, just not a zero turn. But, I find myself using the push more than anything. Thought the sulky was a good idea to use to move into commercial accounts. Just didn't know about houw versitile it was. Thanks again.
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

What to use?

I would have to agree with Runner. I would also go with a 48" WB. You would be pleasantly surprised on how much you can get done with 48' mower, especially a hydro.

One other thing I would like to add, GO DEMO mowers before you buy. You will have to pay a good amount of money for a dependable mower, so buy what you like best.

Thanks for asking our input, Fred.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I started out like you, using a walk behind. I used a velke with mine for years, and thought I was mowing "fast". But compared to my Lazer Z hp, a walk-behind/sulky is very slow. A good compact rider can mow 95% of the places your walk-behind can, and you're better off passing on jobs that a rider won't handle, rather than mowing all of your lawns slowly. A rider will also save your knees. I had terrible knee problems till I got my lazer z. Also, it's easier to mow in rows with a zero turn rider than with a walk behind. (less jockeying the mower at turns) I would definitely say you should compromise and get a 40" or 48" Lazer Z HP rather than a big deck walk-behind. The cost-per-yard extra is mere pennies! Do the math.

I can mow at least 2 more lawns a day now with my rider, and I do many smaller lawns. On big properties, the advantage of riders widens. And best of all, I'm not nearly as tired. I can produce $300 here in Atlanta in an 8 hour work day with my lazer z hp. The higher initial investment is recouped within a year. I just wish I'd switched earlier. My limiting factor now is my age and poor general health, not getting tired from mowing.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.