what should I use

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vaacutabove, Aug 17, 2011.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

Been playing around and have narrowed it down to three speedzone, esclade or 4 speed. I need to cut back on spot spraying the 4 speed is about 20 dollars more than the other two I'm treating a mix of fescue and Bermuda any input?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

What's your target?

3. vaacutabove

This will be in all my applications other than spring I have had problems with violets b medic and ivy in the past.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

When you say mix of fescue and bermuda, do you mean the lawns are both grasses or you treat both types of grass? Reason I ask, is that what is good on the bermuda must not go on the fescue and visa versa.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't have much Bermuda around here. A three-way product at maximum rate, plus a surfactant is your best bet. Carfentrazone doesn't add much to your kill percentage. Carfentrazone and Octane (pyraflufen) are fast, but work mainly on young, seedling-size annuals.

6. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Three-Way for me. Mix with Drive to get the Violet.

7. vaacutabove

I'm in central VA so I have a mix some are better than others I liked the speed zone have not use the other two three way is not cutting it thus far used triplet and momentum with out having to spot spray after
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

On hard to kill weeds, my preference has always been for ester. Amines have left me disappointed. The three way amine formulas that have MCPP do little for the hard to kill weeds and burn the lawn more than anything else. I did have one zoysia lawn that became severely infested with black medic once. What killed it was a home made 4 way that involved 2,4-D ester, Turflon ester, dicamba and Quicksilver. No, there is not a hole in the ground where the lawn was supposed to be.

In your case, Speedzone + the label rate of Drive sounds like a good option. My clients do not pay per round, they pay for a year divided into 12, so control failures and the need to respray is on me. So that is where the hot 4 way mix comes into play. I would also look at how your product is applied. I do not ever use the Chemlawn style nozzle for post emergent herbicides. I use air inducted fan tips on a boom. On small, oddly shaped lawns, I have a wand that will hold one tip. My usual surfactant is MSO.