What should RPM be with blades on?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KathysLGC, Oct 11, 2004.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I get 3610rpm on the engine with blades off and 3460 with blades engaged. I read some where the the rpm's need to be 3600 w/blades on. Should I adjust the throttle plate or high needle setting on the carb? It's a V-twin 17hp Kawi.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Playboy,

To adjust the engine rpm you'll need to adjust the throttle plate. RPM should be 3600 with the blades engaged + or - 50 rpm. The 150 rpm droop you are getting now (blades on vs blades off) will hopefull drop closer to 100 rpm. The 150 rpm drop is okay but it's at the upper end. It may indicate that a basic tune up may be in order.

Thanks

Terry

3. KathysLGC

I made the adjustment and boy what a difference in sound the blades make with the extra rpm's. At idle it tops out at 3680 but now with the blades on it tops out at 3610 but averages 3590-3600. It doesn't stay exact. It goes and and down. I checked the plugs and air filter and they are fine. The mower has very little use. I need to check the belts now... I don't run the engine at max with out a load so i don't mind a slightly higher rpm at max if it will be where I need it to be with a load on.

Thanks for the help.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you ougtta here it when it runs at 3750 :)

5. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

How do you adjust the "throttle plate"? I adjust my carburetor settings based on instructions in my Kawasaki owners manual and still end up at 3500 rpm no load, 3400 with blades engaged. If I attempt to adjust my throttle cable from this rigged setting, my engine rpm falls on it's face as the throttle lever is advanced and the choke comes into play. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

6. eXmark

Playboy,

It sounds like you need to re-adjust the choke as well. The other option would be a quick visit to the dealership. It's possible you have something else going on as well.

Thanks

Terry

7. KathysLGC

Yeah I'll look to see what position the choke is in at full throttle and idle. If I can't figure it out I'll bring it to the dealer.

I wen't to one that was 30 minutes away but they are a lot nicer then one that is 10 minutes away.

8. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you adjust the throttle plate? What should the RPM be with the UV on?

9. eXmark

DD,

The throttle plate is adjusted with a couple of screws that hold it in place. If you unsure have your dealer show you how it's done.

Engine rpm drop with vac really should not be used as a test. Use the drop with the vac removed. The various vac will pull slightly more or less power based on the deck being used. By factoring in the vac you increase you margin of error. By sticking with the drop when the blades are engaged you'll have a more accurate gauge.

Thanks

Terry