what should two guys make a day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yard_smart, Jul 16, 2008.

1. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

Im hiring a manager to run/mow next year so i can concentrate on power washing and roof cleaning . . . . how much should a two man crew be able to mow either in size wise or money wise per day ???

ps money wise as in $ per hour

2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

on a fairly tight route i would say $100/hr 4 10hr days

3. yard_smart

thats the thing im gonna have to work on next spring is a tighter route im spread out too much . . .

4. yard_smart

so i pay 50 an hour for pay roll

my cost is around 5 -6 for gas
    3 an hour for equipment
    10 for advertising
    15 for ins and office

leaves me with 16% net profit that will work

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of equipment only costs you $3 per hour?

6. Shaded Green

Shaded Green LawnSite Member

Although I agree with 3$ an hour for a ZTR ($9,000/3,000hrs=3). But.... In order to accomplish this you must maintain your equipment very well.

You haven't figured in maintenance, repair$, down time, and mi$cellaneou$ expenditure$ (trimmer line,blade$,belt$). If you've got two guys making $100 an hour, you are doing okay.

I think you should sit down and seriously consider every possibility, and outcome. Come up with your cost per hour........ then add 50%.

7. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

50/hr for payroll seams alittle high i wouldnt see why it wouldnt be more like 30-40 for 2 guys

6 for gas is about right

i would say equiptment would be more like 5-7/hr

where do you get 10/hr for advertising that i would think at least for me is WAY less basicly nonexistant

and i also dont see how office would cost that much

if i ever go this way i dont see why it would even be worth it for me to make anything less than 40% but id be doing the mantainance and taking care of the paperwork and advertising/estimates so if the crew grossed 4k/week id get at least 1600 id be cool with that since id only work maybe 10-20hrs

8. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We're $3400 fuel per month on 600 hours per month & we have a 72" Z 2-60" Z's and a 54" z and 4 trucks cutting 150 acres a cycle 7-10 days. $400 a week on a 40 hour week for advertising?:dizzy:

9. yard_smart

45 an hour for pay roll (this includes my salary)
    my cost is around 7 for gas
    15 an hour for equipment
    4 for advertising
    12 for ins and office

17% net profit

that seems to make more sense

10. yard_smart

no you would not be making 1600

this is where people don't understand running a business and the real cost of it

your company should be its own thing . .. my 17% net profit mean that for every hour my company is working some where it is making 17 dollars. . . thats not mine or yours or the mowers gas money or date money that is the companies money!

your money comes out of the salaries the 45% or the 50% or the what ever percent

i have two guys working at 10/hr thats twenty an hour total . . . now if they work ten hours that would be 1k they bring me

70 for gas
    150 for equipment
    40 for advertising
    120 to pay ins. and office materials
    450 for pay roll
    and 170 goes to the bank to stay there

out of the 450 200 goes to employees. . . then you make 250 for being the accountant, marketing director, manager, and secretary.

now most people do take a cut out of net profit for being the owner say like 2% but thats not important in the first few years so i didn't figure it in

does that make sense ?