What should you pay yourself?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a certain percentage that any business owner should pay themselves no matter the size of the company?

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Tht depends on what hats the owner is wearing. If the owner is also the foreman he would make a reasonable foremans wage then hopefully there is something left for profit. Which you could choose to take but if you want to grow thats where the profits wil go.

I don't think you will find an industry avg if there is you could check with PLANET they do a yearly thing and gather that kind of info but I question how accurate it is because I don't think many participate.

You can take all the profit and stay the same size or you can take what you need to live and reinvest. Most guys I know that are owners no matter what the size 500-K to 10 million per year volume take a salery of 100-150-K per year between them and the wives and reinvest the rest for growth.

tbtigers likes this.
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im an s corp. I take $800 a week and draw the rest a profit. Taking too much in a paycheck kills you with comp, taking too little isnt good come tax time.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It depends if you take it for tax reasons, or to give yourself the impression that the company makes more than it does. I dont take a salary.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

AI - you and I keep finding too many similarities with our biz. Yes, I'm and S-corp as well, pay myself a little less than the 800 a week, and write myself dividend checks when needed.

To the OP, no real percentage, but try to reinvest as you go instead of just dumping it all in your pocket. I learned that a little late. Equipment, land, shop/garage, whatever. Even invest it in good people to work for you.

6. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

S-Corp here too.

Pay myself as little as possible as we have some power equipment debt that we are getting behind us. My wife, and co-owner, draws no salary yet.

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i only make min wage so i also draw welfare and get food stamps. haha!

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats a paycheck?//

9. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

I take 30% right off the top for taxes, seems high but you want to be over and not under and placed in a sub-account or your business savings account, works for me.

Payday falls on when the job is done, im a SP soon LLC

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am s-corp... I only pay myself 25k a year... the rest is business profit. Isn't that the whole point of being an s-corp... avoid ss?